Warriors prepare for start of fall season

The boys soccer team hopes to capitalize on their senior leadership by winning a Dual County League title. (Credit: Jackson Hubbell/WSPN)

Boys Soccer

Last season, the boys soccer team flew out of the gates to a 6-1-1 record; however, they could not capitalize on the hot start and finished 10-7-2, with an early round exit in the state tournament. The boys return a strong core of players from last year’s squad, led by four captains: Mark Blahnik, Doug Lyons, Chris D’Amico, and Nico Pascual-Leone.

Important Game: Tuesday, 10/4 @ Concord-Carlisle. The warriors will find out what they’re made of when they face off against the two-time defending Division Two State Champions.

Player to Watch: Nico Pascual-Leone (senior)

Girls Soccer

After losing a significant number of their starters, the girls soccer team looks to defend their Dual County League (DCL) title and reach the state tournament again. Players will be expected to step up quickly, since the girls opener is on the second day of school at DCL-Large foe Lincoln-Sudbury.

Important Game: Saturday, 10/1 vs Lynnfield. The girls attended the same summer soccer camp as Lynnfield, so the teams are already familiar with each other.

Player to Watch: Maeve Moynihan (senior)

Field Hockey

The field hockey team has big shoes to fill this year.  After last year’s team  won the DCL last year and made it to states, this year’s team looks to do equally well, if not better, this year. They have no time to waste with their first game on the day school starts.

Important Game: Saturday, 9/17 @ Acton-Boxborough. This game will prove whether or not the team has what it takes to defend its league title.

Player to Watch: Bailey Morgan (senior)

Volleyball

After a less than ideal season last year, the volleyball team hopes to erase all doubts. With new coach Krissy Norman, the team looks to turn things around.  The two junior captains, Olivia Shaw and Emily van Mulbregt, will look to get ready for a major run next year.

Important Game: Tuesday 10/11 Vs. Weston. This will be a good test for the volleyball team who hopes to get off to a good start.

Player to Watch: Olivia Shaw (junior)

Football

Football may have the youngest varsity team in the school. Relying on primarily juniors and sophomores, the team will surely experience some growing pains. To make matters worse, seven of the warriors’ eleven games are on the road, and they never have back-to-back home games the entire year.

Important Game: Thanksgiving Day, 11/24 vs Weston. The Wildcats beat Wayland last year, but the Warriors will look to resume their recent dominance in the two towns rivalry.

Player to watch: Tyler Mordas (senior)

Golf

Led by captain Joe Cooper, the golf team had a very successful season last year. This year may be different since the team lost seniors to graduation.  New coach TJ Anthoine hopes to continue the recent success and lead the team back to sectionals and maybe farther into the state tournament.

Golfer to watch: Jeremy Brofsky (senior)

Important Match: Wednesday, 9/21 @ Weston, @Lincoln-Sudbury. This match will be a good indicator of how the season will turn out for the golf team.

Cross-Country

The cross-country team lost a large number of starters on both teams.  Both the girls and boys teams hope to find talent within. A significant portion of the boys team is underclassmen, all of whom have a lot of potential. The girls team added some upperclassmen who they hope will propel them to a winning season.

Boys runner to watch: Tommy Hoopes (senior)
Girls runner to watch: Phoebe Morss (sophomore)

Important Race:  MIAA Division Championship, 11/12. This race will determine how the athletes stack up against the whole league.

Crew

Both crew teams will have to defend their state champion titles this coming season. Both are confident in their ability to repeat as state champions. The boys team is looking to build their team from the bottom up after losing star rowers. The girls team sees potential in their new varsity rowers who will replace those lost to graduation.

Boys rower to watch:  Jakub Buczek (senior)
Girls rower to watch: Elena Drews (senior)

Important Race: Head of the Charles, 10/22-10/23. This is a good opportunity for the teams to compete against schools from all over the country.