WHS welcomes exchange student, Hadrien Symon

(Credit: Jake Adelman/WSPN)

This year, Wayland High School welcomes Hadrien Symon, an international exchange student from Brussels, Belgium. Hadrien came to Wayland through AFS Intercultural Programs, and is being hosted by Zoe Schattenburg and her family. He’s on the varsity soccer team, plays guitar, and is looking forward to having fun this year in America. Hadrien is a native French speaker who plans to improve his English this year and make new American friends.

Hadrien comes from Brussels, a large city, and is transitioning to life in a small suburban town. Hadrian was particularly surprised by the differences in common transportation between Brussels and Wayland. Most people in Brussels use their public transportation system, while in Wayland people usually drive private cars. Hadrien also says that the laws are very different between America and Belgium, especially with regard to legal privileges for teenagers. In Belgium, though the drinking age is 18, citizens can drink beer starting at age 16. Belgian teenagers can also enter night clubs and bars at age 16, but they can’t legally drive until age 18. Despite all these differences, there are basic similarities.

“Like in Belgium, people are kind and very welcoming. Where I live in Brussels also looks like here,” said Hadrien.

Hadrien initially found out about the exchange program when the two daughters of his father’s best friend participated in it. When they came back, they told Hadrien that it had been an amazing life experience and encouraged him to do an exchange of his own. Given a choice of three possible host countries, Hadrien knew he wanted America.

“I chose the United States because it’s the most influential country in the world and everyone wants to live the American dream,” said Hadrien.

This is not Hadrien’s first time in the states. On his first trip, he traveled to the West Coast and saw Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Bryce Canyon and San Francisco. On his second, he visited Florida, including Miami, Naples and Orlando. On this trip, he’ll be here for the entire school year to get a much deeper experience.

“I’m really looking forward to having fun! I want to meet nice people and discover the real America.”

Hadrien’s visit marks a new experience for the Schattenburg family as well. Fran Davis, Schattenburg’s mother, was hosted as a foreign exchange visitor when she was a student, which influenced her to extend the same service to another student. Each year, more students request to join the program than there are hosts. This is why the Schattenburgs’ temple sought them out. Junior Zoe Schattenburg enjoys having a visitor living with her.

“I want to learn about Hadrien’s culture and have him learn about ours and to get closer with him,” she said.

Along with the Schattenburgs, all of Wayland High School is hosting Hadrien. This coming year, as Hadrien learns from us, we will also be learning from him.