New freshman study policy causes mixed response

This year, freshmen must maintain above a C- average in all of their classes in order to earn free periods. (Photo illustration: Matthew Gutschenritter/WSPN)

One of the most highly anticipated aspects of coming to the high school is free periods. For this year’s freshman class, attaining these free periods will take more than simply waiting until first semester ends.

As in past years, freshman students must attend study halls during their free periods for half the year. Studies this year are set up in L1 where freshman are encouraged to do their work, read, or sit quietly. For many, it is a time to get ahead or catch up on homework.

This year, freshman will only have study halls for the first semester. The deciding factor on whether a student has to stay in study or receive the privilege of frees during second semester is dependent on their grades.

In order for a student to have their studies turned into frees, they must maintain above a C- in every class. If one grade is below a C-, the student remains in study blocks.

Some students find the study halls too restrictive because they don’t allow students to work together, making free time less productive.

“I do not like the new study rule because it is basically a restricted study. Well, it is a restricted study,” said freshman Daly Place. “Upperclassmen who have restricted studies come into our study. So, even if all of my science group is in the study we still can’t work together. If you ask me the whole idea is pretty silly.”

Others see studies as a productive time to do work.

“I personally have no problem with it, because it helps me settle into the school year and the workload. I enjoy them because I can get my work done. Plus, I can listen to my iPod,” said freshman Jameson Hunt.

The bar has been raised for this year’s freshman class. This standard has become a motivator for students to push themselves academically and not fall behind on their schoolwork.

“It motivates freshman to be focused on their academics and rewards them for doing well. The set grades for frees is reasonable for everyone,” junior Emily Huber said.

If the policy is successful, future freshmen classes can expect the same standard.

$60
$1500