Warriors to take on Lincoln-Sudbury at season midpoint

Junior quarterback Matt Goddard talks to his coach during the Warriors home opener against Nauset Regional. (Credit: Jake Adelman/WSPN)

The Wayland Warrior football team will reach the midpoint of their season with a game against DCL foe Lincoln-Sudbury tonight.

With losses to King Philip, Nauset and Acton-Boxboro and wins against South Boston and Boston Latin, the team’s record stands at 2-3.

“It’s been a tough season so far,” said starting quarterback Matt Goddard. “We’re a young team, we’re not living up to our potential yet.”

Goddard, a junior, started the season as the fourth quarterback on the depth chart, but earned the starting role in the second game of the season.

Halfway through the season, head coach Scott Parseghian is optimistic about the team’s progress.

“We’re still making some bad choices out there, all over, both offense and defense, but we’re coming around,” Parseghian said.

The Warriors will have a chance to prove themselves Friday night against Lincoln-Sudbury.

“All of the DCL games mean something to us,” said Parseghian.

While both teams are members of the DCL, Lincoln-Sudbury is in the DCL Large and Wayland is in the DCL Small.

“They’re just a bigger school. That doesn’t mean they have bigger or better players,” said Junior running back Brian Garcia.

Friday’s game will be the second of four Warrior home games this season. The Warriors lost their home opener to Nauset Regional High School, 34-21.

Be sure to tune in to the game live here on WSPN.

This report is part of the in-depth story, Friday Night Lights: Warriors fall to LS.