Laven featured on From The Top

(Credit: Ally Toto/WSPN)

Junior cellist Andrew Laven has accomplished more than the average teenager. Recently, Laven recorded an episode that will air on the radio show “From the Top,” a Boston-based program that showcases talented musicians throughout the country.

Laven’s father, Steve, who is also his cello teacher, told a “From the Top” producer how musically gifted Laven is and sent in a tape of Laven playing with his cello quartet. The radio producer listened to Laven on YouTube and recognized his extraordinary talent. He then invited Laven and his quartet to play on the show.

Laven’s segment on “From the Top” will be broadcast on November 28th.

Music is Laven’s life. Laven takes lessons at the Rivers School Conservatory and is a member of the Boston Youth Symphony Orchestra, a music group in Boston. He spent this past summer playing at various music camps.

Laven played at Tanglewood for six weeks over the summer through Boston University Tanglewood Institute (BUTI), which is in collaboration with the Boston Youth Symphony Orchestra. He also went to another youth orchestra camp for two weeks.

Musical talent runs in the Laven family. At the age of four, Laven’s father, who is a professional cellist and composer, inspired him to play. Laven’s mother plays both the flute and piccolo in the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

“My favorite part about playing is the release of tension. When I’m really stressed I’ll play cello because it makes me relaxed,” said Laven. He added that listening is a different experience from playing, “When I listen to music, and I know what’s coming, then I get a lot of satisfaction out of it. I really love listening.”

Laven enjoys playing many types of classical music, but said that his favorite is romantic. When it comes to composers, Laven loves Tchaikovsky.

“In terms of Andrew’s diligence in music, I have never had a student like Andrew, who is not only talented, but is so driven about what he does,” said Susan Memoli, Laven’s orchestra teacher.  “He is also the nicest person about it.”

Memoli has been working with Laven since 7th grade.

Laven intends to go to a college that offers a strong music program and pursue a career centered around music.

“It was pretty evident in middle school that Laven had a rare talent. He plays with such a natural approach and nothing sounds forced. It’s like he’s speaking through his instrument,” said Memoli.

Correction: It was previously stated that Andrew Laven is a sophomore. He is in-fact, a junior.