Robin Tracy: I haven’t experienced a high school campus quite like it

(Credit: Jake Adelman/WSPN)

If you ask Wayland High School students what they like most about WHS, a popular answer would be the open campus. Students love to take advantage of their junior or senior privileges and leave campus during the day.

However, students don’t receive these privileges just because of their age; they need to fulfill certain requirements.

During Wayland High School’s construction, there hadn’t been anyone to monitor the flow of students leaving campus.  Until now.  Robin Tracy is Wayland High School’s new campus supervisor.

Tracy is stationed in the parking lot checking the names of the students attempting to leave. He carries around a clipboard with the names of all students; if you’re not crossed off, you can’t leave.

“Overall, not too many people are violating [their privileges] knowingly,” said Tracy, “although there have been a few.”

Before coming to Wayland, Tracy had experience in numerous jobs. After serving in the army, Tracy, who has a masters degree in education, taught at a couple of schools and worked in the financial services industry for a few years.

When asked to compare his jobs in the past to his current job, Tracy said, “It’s a totally different, unique job. It would be like comparing apples to oranges.”

Wayland students are starting to get used to Tracy’s new presence in the parking lot and expect to see him outside when they leave, rain or shine.

“The weather really doesn’t bother me unless it’s sub-zero or a sub-zero wind-chill, and at that point I’ll just sit in my car and catch people that way,” said Tracy. “But for the most part, expect to see me walking around.”

Tracy is looking forward to building relationships with the students and has already started making an effort to do so.

“I see them walking in and out; I might stop and say, ‘Hi. What did you have for lunch?'” said Tracy.

Even after all his other job experiences, Tracy finds that Wayland has its own charm.

“I find it to be a very unique place,” said Tracy. “I haven’t experienced a high school campus quite like it.”

$210
$1500