Pacifists at War to sign record deal

Pacifists at War, from left to right, sophomores Alex Karle, Matt Cooper and Charlie Cundari. (Credit: Alex Erdekian/WSPN)

Pacifists at War, a band including three sophomores at Wayland High School, Matt Cooper, Charlie Cundari and Alex Karle, and freshman Gabe Bernard of Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School, is currently in the process of being signed to a record label.

Cooper and Cundari played together in middle school with their former band, Beyond Authority. The two, along with Bernard, formed a new band, Pacifists at War, and have performed together ever since.

“Charlie and I wanted to get a little more serious and start recording and doing shows,” said Cooper.  “I was in jazz band with Alex at the time, so I knew he was a really good drummer.”

Music manager Alex Emelianoff approached Cooper while he was performing independently at The Sad Cafe in Plaistow, New Hampshire. Emelianoff has signed one other artist, a Christian rapper from Burlington, MA, James Girouard.

“He saw me play there and he liked my music so he checked out my acoustic stuff and the band stuff,” said Cooper.

Emelianoff was intrigued by the young band and proceeded to master their first EP, “Egress.” A few months after, Emelianoff offered the band a record deal to his label Hearing ADE Productions. The band is now in the final stages of signing and closing the deal.

The recording process for Pacifists at War features lead singer/guitarist Cooper composing the lyrics and bass music. Cundari plays guitar for the band. Vocalist Bernard is also the band’s bassist, and drummer Karle writes instrumental parts.

“[Pacifists at War is like] Pink Floyd mixed with Nirvana. We have a kind of atmospheric sound,” said Cooper. “We have a lot of influences from more mainstream alternative like Foo Fighters, Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers, to indie rock like Brand New and the Republic of Wolves.”

Looking ahead, Karle said, “Were trying to stick together as long as possible and see how far we get before we graduate high school.”

$210
$1500