Republican candidates should focus on leadership, not attacks

(Credit: Matthew Gutschenritter/WSPN)

What do Republicans want in their presidential candidate?

Not what they’ve gotten. The strategy is weak. There have been a slew of badly organized candidates who are unclear on their own foundations. None of the candidates have a focus anymore.

There should be one common goal for republicans: get the best man, or woman, for the job.

It certainly shouldn’t be too hard to have a change in leadership. Obama’s approval rating is at its lowest. Half of the country disapproves of President Obama’s work as our leader. It looks like the presidency should be ripe for the taking.

Take a look at the frontrunner, Mitt Romney. One of the first pieces of information you get when looking at his website is about the failure of our current president.

“Will we re-elect a president who will continue with the status quo? A stagnant economy. High unemployment. Out of control spending. Or will we change the direction of our country? Will we renew the lease on four years of failed leadership or we will set a new course? Ask yourself, will you make a difference?” said Romney on his website.

Romney has made his intentions clear. He is there to get Obama out of office. The republican party doesn’t ask if he would be the best candidate, all they want to know is if he’ll win. They don’t care about what he does after that. Just beat out Barack Obama.

Instead of focusing on who has the most potential as the leader of our country, Romney supporters are willing to do anything to get Obama out of office.

This strategy hasn’t been particularly inspiring. While Romney hasn’t had a surge in the polls, but it looks like he could come at least even with Obama. Romney’s focus on Obama’s failings may not be what the American people really need.

Then again, let’s look at some of the other republican candidates’ strategies. Their approaches haven’t been effective either.

Instead of attacking Obama, they focus on attacking each other. Few of them are honestly talking about what their focus as president would be. Instead, they zero in on the flaws of Romney specifically to see if they can knock him out of contention.

“The idea that you stand here before us and talk about that you’re strong on immigration is on its face the height of hypocrisy,” said Rick Perry during a debate.

Perry focused on attacking Romney, hoping that Americans would support him instead. Since Romney has been the candidate to beat, Perry, as well as the other candidates, have wasted time and energy attacking him.

Of course, in light of the recent GOP debates, Rick Perry likely won’t be gaining any more support.

So what’s the problem? The republican party is divided and if they don’t choose a strong candidate soon their beat-Obama strategy could easily backfire. While some strongly support one candidate over the other, overall the party seems uninspired by the mediocre options the GOP has put forth.

Other candidates like Ron Paul, or even Newt Gingrich, are more viable options than the frontrunners. Unfortunately, they’re left in the dust due not only to a lack of a campaign finances, but they’re not seen as serious candidates because they’re not “camera ready.”

Everyone knows that Obama is good at gaining support. He’s charismatic and interesting to listen to. The republicans are worried that their candidate can’t beat out the Obama’s charisma.

Republicans had better find a candidate whose ideas they support, and stand behind him or her soon, otherwise it well be a long four years.

$210
$1500