Seniors plan for end-of-year activities

The class of 2012 is focusing its efforts on raising funds for end-of-year activities like graduation. (Credit: Matthew Gutschenritter/WSPN)

The senior class government is traditionally responsible for planning graduation, class night and the senior cruise. This year’s senior class recognizes that planning these events will require significant fundraising.

The seniors will continue past fundraisers this year. Last year, the class held a “Christmas tree pick-up fundraiser.” Members of the class brought Wayland residents’ trees to the dump after Christmas in exchange for donations. They plan to repeat the fundraiser this year.

The class also began selling Wayland dog collars and leashes during sophomore year and plans to continue selling them this year.

According to Class President Carolyn Jones, fundraising tasks are difficult, despite the worthy cause.

“At the end of the day, it’s all worth it,” said Jones.

Fundraising provides the class with needed resources for class-wide events such as the junior prom and sophomore semi-formal. Jones attributes her class’s successful past events to fundraising.

The class of 2012 E-board also prioritizes donating money from fundraisers to charitable organizations.

In addition to their many responsibilities, the senior class government’s privileges extend beyond those of the underclassmen governments. The seniors can work at the concession stand at football games and design the Turkey Day t-shirts.

According to Jones, the seniors are planning surprise events that will unfold as the year goes on.

This report is part of the in-depth story, Behind the scenes of class government planning.