Scrambled: Pumpkin bars, a Thanksgiving alternative to pie

(Credit: Carolyn Jones/WSPN)

I love that we are able to tell stories through food. I find that my favorite dishes hold wonderful memories, and when I make those meals, they remind me of why I love them.

I was flipping through TV channels the other day when I came across the first cooking show I ever watched. I felt nostalgic because this show was one of the reasons I’m so passionate about cooking and baking.

Not only did this show remind me of everything I love about food, it also provided me with a recipe to share with you.

I wanted to do a festive recipe this week because Thanksgiving is approaching and fall is coming to an end. I fiddled with the idea of pumpkin pie or mashed potatoes, but I wanted to find a more unique recipe that still captured the warm flavors of fall.

This recipe does exactly that.

I made it several years ago on Thanksgiving because my family was in charge of bringing a dessert. It was a huge Thanksgiving success, and it would be a wonderful recipe to use any time of the year.

I love all the flavors in pumpkin pie, but for some reason it has never been my ideal dessert. This recipe for pumpkin bars has the seasonal flavor of pumpkin with the warmth of cinnamon in a new form. I’m tempted to call it pumpkin cake because the end result is so velvety.

(Credit: Carolyn Jones/WSPN)

It is topped with a delicious cream cheese frosting, similar to something you might find in a pumpkin roll. I like to think of this recipe as the best of both worlds because it combines two classic fall desserts – pumpkin pie and a pumpkin roll.

I wish everybody a happy Thanksgiving, filled meals that will remind you of happy memories, both old and new. If you are searching for the perfect Thanksgiving dessert recipe, I promise this one won’t let you down. Make it any time of year to remind you of everything you love about the holidays.

Click here for the recipe for Paula Dean’s pumpkin bars.

$210
$1500