Warrior Weekly: Off-season

(Credit: Evan Barber/WSPN)

The football team took care of business on Thanksgiving, winning the Boston Post Road trophy 22-20 over Weston. The game started with skydivers delivering the game ball to midfield.

Yeah that’s right, skydivers.

It was pretty cool. When the game finally got underway, the two teams seemed evenly matched. There were some dry spells during the game, but it was dominated by big plays, including a 59-yard catch and run touchdown from junior Will Gunshenan to fellow junior Mark Bonner. This year’s team finished with a 4-7 record. Next year, there will certainly be higher expectations for a team with such young players.

With the football season at a close, the three-day offseason for all Wayland athletics began. The winter season will start on Monday, November 28th. The start of the next season gives football players little time to rest, but others can’t wait for the winter season to begin. I won’t go into too much detail about the winter season because our sports section is planning to an in-depth report on it. My blog will stay the same, don’t worry, even though the season is changing.

Since it is the offseason I’m not really sure what to talk about, so I’ll bring up the tender topic of the powder-puff game. The game flew by, and I mean flew. It was 44 minutes running time, leaving little time to allow the girls to get their feet under them and for coaches to make adjustments. We lost the game 18-6. However, despite suspect flags from Weston, we played a very solid game. And even in the cold, I had fun. It just would have been nice for my coaching debut to have resulted in a W.

My fantasy playoff push is rolling along, and I think Chris Johnson might be out of the dog house for good, but you never know. Here’s this week’s dog house.

Ray Rice and Frank Gore: Both of these backs put up season worsts in the Harbaugh bowl on Thursday night. I think they both had a little too much Thanksgiving dinner.

Ravens’ Defense: The Ravens’ D is good and made a mockery of the 49ers’ O-line all night. They finished with nine sacks and 16 fantasy points. In other words too much for a defense. Maybe the 49ers’ offense should be in the house as well.

Shane Brady’s team: Shane might have made the bonehead trade of the year. In first place, Shane decided to change it up by trading his top two scorers, Cam Newton and LeSean McCoy, as well as Ahmad Bradshaw for Mike Vick, Wes Welker and Mike Wallace. Now those are some fantasy studs being thrown around, but it left Shane without running backs. Oh yeah, his back up plan; Fred Jackson, was put on IR with a broken leg, so that backfired. Shane, you won’t be in first for long.

The winter season will start tomorrow, new season, new hopes. Warrior Scores will continue to have the latest scores for all Warrior sports. Good luck to all athletes this winter!