Odd couple: Driver’s Ed

(Credit: Evan Barber/WSPN)

I’ve been 16 for three months now, which means that, like most kids my age, I’m undergoing that lovely process known as Driver’s Ed. For those of you who don’t know (or don’t remember), this means 30 hours of classroom time, 40 hours of personal driving time, 12 hours of professional driving time, and 6 hours of observation. (As if it’s not enough for your driving to just endanger some driving instructor’s life, you have to drag another kid along.) As I’m writing this, I’ve finished my classroom time, driven 30 hours, and taken 9 lessons.

And I’ve noticed a few things about the system.

Let’s start with the classroom time. To put it quite frankly, it’s insane. There is no way you need 30 hours to go over the rules of the road. They’re actually not that hard – otherwise most people wouldn’t be carrying driver’s licenses. My teacher spent nearly ten minutes explaining stopping at a stop sign. What is there to explain? You STOP. The videos they show us aren’t too enlightening either. However educational, no video stuck in the 80’s or 90’s featuring rap with the opposite of rhythm (also known as people just talking) and general bad music about how to pass a truck will teach us how to drive. Let me put it simply-if we gouge our eyes out to save ourselves looking at these videos, we won’t become better drivers. Driver’s Ed is hurting us!

My point is that most driving seems to require common sense. Sure, they taught us how to turn left and right, but until you actually do it, you’re just wasting your time. So why teach us? Leave it to the folks in the driving lessons. That takes me to my next point – driving lessons. At least here I can understand the point – actually teaching driving makes sense. My issue here lies with the teachers.

The last one has actually led to a fun game for me. For my last four or five lessons, I’ve gotten on the highway. If my teacher is the comatose kind, I play my invented “Highway Game”. Normally, on a highway, the speed limit is 65. But in my game, I go faster and faster to see how long it will take my teacher to realize I’m speeding. Even the most brain-dead ones have caught on to my game before the cops have, as I’ve never been pulled over. What does that say about our police force?

As bad as the sleeping teachers are, they’re not as bad as the angry ones. These lovely gentlemen are ready to jump down your throats for stopping a few inches past the stop lines. Shockingly, I’m not too enlightened by their crazed, like the lunatic I was once stuck with who had me drive across the grass in a parking lot, swerve across an opposing lane of traffic, and turn into my lane, cursing the company and his job the whole way (true story.)

I say gentlemen, not to be sexist, but out of an observation. I’ve had eight different teachers, all were male, and seven were pretty old. Why is it that we’re trusting old men as driving teachers? From the looks of some of them, the hospital might be my first step. What do you even say during the lesson? My teachers seem to like to make chitchat, and somehow “remember the ‘60s?” doesn’t cut it. Of course, teaching people to drive isn’t a fun job, so I’m guessing this a dead end, last resort kind of deal. Terrific. I’m thrilled to be stuck with some cranky old man because he doesn’t have anything else to do.

Driving itself is actually pretty fun, but I’ve met very few people who enjoy the hoops they have to jump through to get a license. Looking at all the stupidity we have to put up with, I’m actually amazed there are so many drivers. Maybe that’s why they all seem like they’re in such a bad mood.

$60
$1500