Team-by-team preview of the winter season

Find out what each winter team has in store this winter. (Credit: Riley Starr/WSPN)

Boys’ Swimming and Diving:

Last year the team finished fourth in the 2011 State Championship. After losing Michael Ren (three time 100m breaststroke state champion) along with other seniors, this year looks to be a year for rebuilding. There are only three seniors on the team this year.
First meet: 12/2 DCL Relay Carnival
Swimmers to watch: Doug Curtin (junior), Mark Karlson (junior) and Matt Devlin (junior)

Girls’ Swimming and Diving:

With five state championships in the past six seasons, the most successful winter team in Wayland looks to get revenge after losing the final race of the 2011 State Championship. They have established themselves as a legacy over the past ten years and hope to keep this reputation alive.
First meet: 12/2 DCL Relay Carnival
Swimmers to watch: Megan Pierce (junior) and Molly Pierce (freshmen), diver: Carolyn Jones (senior)

Boys’ Basketball:

The defending DCL Small Champions return two starters from last year’s team. (Jaleel Bell and Tyler Mordas.) After making it to the quarterfinals last year, they return six players and have their eyes on another DCL small title.
First game: 12/9 @ Bedford.
Players to watch: Tyler Mordas (senior) and Jaleel Bell (junior)

Girls’ Basketball:

It’s the beginning of a new era for the girls basketball program as new varsity coach Amber Wantman steps in. The girls will also have to cope with the loss of DCL all-star Jen Berkowitz, who left for private school. Coach Wantman brings a new style that will be tested by the tough DCL schedule.
First game: 12/9 vs. Bedford
Players to watch: Maddie Lemmo (senior) and Katie Terranova (senior)

CORRECTION (12/9/11 – 11:15am) – Amber Wantman is no longer the coach of the girls basketball team. Assistant Coach Cupid will assume head coaching duties.

Boys’ Track:

Like the girls’ basketball team the track program also has a new coach this year. Last year’s assistant and head outdoor track coach Peter Galalis is now the indoor coach as well. The boys lost a lot of talent from last year’s team, leaving room for newcomers to step up.
First meet: 12/14 vs. Boston Latin
Athlete to watch: Tommy Hoopes (senior) and Bennett Keyes (sophomore)

Girls’ Track:

The girls are under coach Galalis as well. The girls came up one meet short a of DCL small title last season. Led by a solid returning core the ladies will hope to finish the job this year.
First meet: 12/14 vs. Boston Latin
Athlete to watch: Anna Sailor (senior) and Kelsey Burke (senior)

Boys’ and Girls’ Ski Team:

The sport that relies on winter finds itself stuck on land for now, but once the snow starts falling they’ll start racing. The team skis both cross-country and downhill. They will look to improve on last year’s solid finish.
First race: Nordic 1/3 @ Weston,  GS 1/5 Nashoba Valley
Athlete to watch: Olivia Lucier (senior) and Jakub Buczek (senior)

Boys’ Hockey:

Losing 3-2 in a shootout in the Division 3 North Semi-finals, the Warriors look to avenge their loss in the 2011- 2012 season. Leading scorer Kevin Yun and three year captain Evan Barber look to lead another deep playoff run.
First game: 12/16 vs. Ashland
Players to watch: Evan Barber (senior), Kevin Yun (sophomore) and Altan Atamer (sophomore)

Girls’ Hockey:

The girls hockey team is yearning for a victory this season, it’s been two years since their last. All of last year’s team is returning and they hope to pair that experience with some great young talent. It is only a matter of time before the girls win.
First game: 12/14 @ Chelmsford
Players to watch: Jess Greenwood (senior)

Wrestling:

Wayland’s most storied winter sport will be at it again this season. There will be a slightly different feel this season as the weight classes have changed. Regardless the wrestling team will be a force in the DCL and maybe even the state.
First meet: 12/10 @ Hudson vs. Lexington, Holliston and Hudson
Players to watch: John Grumbach (senior) and Nick Coffin (junior)