Voices from the walls of Wayland High School

Because the current facility is soon to be demolished, less focus has been put on getting rid of graffiti says Lucas Boegehold. (Photo Illustration: Jonathan Chen/WSPN)

Throughout the school, there are many simple things, from door knobs to sinks, that simply don’t work. Increasing amounts of graffiti have been ignored as well, and profane images and words are taking bathrooms by force.

To some extent, the lack of repairs makes sense. Why fix something that is going to be demolished in a few short months? Nevertheless, it is still demoralizing to watch your school fall apart right underneath your very fingertips.

Just two years ago, one would have never known the true amount of graffiti being drawn. Due to the swift movement of the janitors, the underworld of Wayland High School graffiti artists was one that was stifled and kept under tight control. Now, this same underworld has begun to flourish, from odd scrawls that can be found on every wall, to strange hieroglyphics sketched into desk tops.

The language building has probably suffered the most damage.

One of the doors on the side facing the Commons sticks to its frame and requires more than the shove an average high school student wants to give. Most kids learn quickly to give it the extra push, but even the most experienced upperclassmen sometimes run into it and embarrass themselves.

One of the doors that faces the large courtyard between the language, history, and science buildings seems to be locked all the time from the inside. On the next set of double doors, one of them lost its handle and is thus physically impossible to open when entering. No one seems to know where it went, but I think I might have seen it sticking out of the perpetually clogged toilet in the language building on Monday.

Even the bell system has been laid to rest, leaving students sitting in the depths of the library to get carried away in their studies and miss their next four classes. One student was found curled up in a ball sleeping the next morning in the library because his life had no structure without the bells.

The dilapidation of our school has had many different effects on students, and has revealed a previously unseen underbelly of Wayland High School culture. Along with the old school, the problems with the utilities of our alma mater will disappear. Later this year, we will start on a new page in a new school, and vandalism will return to the depths of creative thought, where it belongs. But for now, “embrace” the art or shun it: it’s your choice.

$210
$1500