Myths about new school debunked

(Photo illustration: Evan Barber/WSPN)

In anticipation for the move to the new school, Wayland High School has been buzzing with rumors about the new rules, policies and features of the new campus. WSPN spoke to a number of students about the rumors they had heard, and then went to Dean of Students Scott Parseghian and Principal Patrick Tutwiler to get you the truth about the new high school.

They’re taking away our frees, and replacing them with open studies.

False
According to Principal Tutwiler, the current policy for free blocks is not changing. Freshman still only have studies for first semester and need at least a C in every class to have frees second semester. Non-freshman will still have the same amount of freedom during their free blocks. The commons will still be open for hanging out and for studying, along with four new rooms in the South Building called Small Learning Centers (SLCs).

Every teacher will have individual headsets.

True
According to Parseghian, each teacher will wear a small microphone that amplifies their voice throughout the classroom they are teaching in.

We won’t be able to carry our backpacks around anymore.

True
“We’re going to try to move away from a backpack culture to a locker culture,” said Parseghian. Some students are quite attached to their current method of organization system of carrying all their materials in a backpack to every class, but once we start using lockers many people will feel a weight lifted off their shoulders.

We’re going to have to use our student ID cards to get in and out school.

False
No, the doors of the school will be open, like they’ve always been.

The design of the new school is modeled after a prison.

False
“I see why people might think it’s modeled after a jail because of the metal things on the windows, but they’re to block the sunlight from the classroom so it’s not in people’s eyes. But no, it’s not [modeled after a jail],” said Tutwiler.

There’s going to be a student store.

True
“Mr. Page is going to be controlling the new store with one of his classes, but for what they sell I don’t really know, but he has a lot of ideas. Probably booster apparel, shirts, pens and pencils if you need them,” said Parseghian.

There will be a Starbucks kiosk.

False
This was proposed for the new school, but did not pass state regulations.

The new commons looks like the cafeteria in High School Musical.

Not Really
The small balcony overlooking the new commons could resemble the loft design in the High School Musical cafeteria, but otherwise they don’t look too similar. But don’t fret Disney fans, the new commons and lunch choices are being completely updated with a food-court style set up. The commons will have rectangular and circular tables.

The Commons will be painted before it is torn down.

Possible
The class of 2012 is in the process of organizing a fundraiser in which students could spray paint the outside of the Commons. On Wednesday, December 21st, Wayglow, a dance planned by the Youth Action Group will be held in the Commons from 8-11pm for $7 per person. Paint will be thrown on students while they are dancing so be sure to wear white.

EDITOR’S NOTE: It was previously published that the Commons would be painted by students during the Wayglow dance, but it is in-fact the class of 2012 fundraiser which would spray paint the Commons. The class of 2012 fundraiser and Wayglow are not the same. We apologize for the confusion.

Check out the rest of the stories in this In-Depth report, “Examining the culture shift in the new school.”

$210
$1500