New lunch options offered in new school

The cafeteria in the new school will offer new options for students. (Credit: Allison Wei/WSPN

With Wayland High School students and faculty moving into a new school, one of the many changes will be the lunches the school offers.

Currently, the school offers a main entre that usually comes with vegetables, fruit and milk in the main line. A second line is for fast food that has burgers, patties and pizza. In addition there is the snack bar, which offers bagels, chips, cookies and drinks among other things. There is also a salad bar twice a month.

In the new facility, there will be five main lines: deli, grill, main course, pizza and salad. The new snack bar will be similar to the current one. So far, two new workers have been hired to help manage the new lines.

“Our goal is to get everyone to take a meat or meat alternate, a fruit, a vegetable, a grain and milk,” said Food Service Director Cheryl Judd. For this reason, each line will have fresh fruit, some form of vegetables and milk to meet these goals.

On a Roll
The deli line will offer an assortment of fresh meats and cheeses on a variety of breads and rolls. It also comes with the homemade soup of the week.

Warrior Grill
The grill line will have grilled chicken, burgers and chicken patties. But the main difference between this and the current hot lunch option is that the food will be made from a grill, as opposed to the preheated meals the school offers now. The Warrior Grill will also have weekly specials that include reuben melts, steak bombs and turkey melts.

Main Event
The line that serves the main course has a rotating schedule. Monday is the macaroni and cheese bar, Tuesday is the hot dog bar, Wednesday is the hot submarine sandwich bar, Thursday is the nacho and taco bar and Friday is the pasta bar.

A Crust Above
The pizza bar will have everyday choices such as cheese, pepperoni and vegetarian pizzas. There will also be weekly specials, such as buffalo chicken, hamburger and Hawaiian pizzas.

Fresh Creations
The salad line that will include everyday choices such as chicken Caesar, buffalo chicken and Greek salads. Weekly specials will include Cobb, grilled sesame chicken and spinach salad.

“We’re trying to have the salad bar every Thursday, but if that becomes very popular, then we will try to do it more often,” said Judd.

On January 3rd, the first day back, there will be a grand opening in A Crust Above, and a second slice of pizza will cost only $1.00

“We can’t put everything out there, so we decided to have the everyday options, and then some weekly specials,” said Judd.

Gluten-free options will still be available. These options include pizza and roll-ups on a brown tortilla.

Judd also hopes that students can have a voice in what they choose to eat.

“I hope that there will be some kind of suggestion box or way of communicating. We have tons of capabilities now to bring more offers,” said Judd, “a lot of the food is similar, but we’re upgrading the quality of what we bring in and the flexibility which we hope students will like.”

$210
$1500