Fay achieves Eagle Scout rank

Sophomore Liam Fay with his bull's eye at the Klondike Derby Ax Throwing Competition (courtesy of Ron Hereema)

What do director Steven Spielberg, former United States President Gerald Ford and Wayland High School sophomore Liam Fay have in common? They are all Eagle Scouts, the highest rank reached in the Boy Scouts of America program.

To become an Eagle Scout, young men must go through many hard years of training. For sophomore Liam Fay, the work of obtaining the rank of Eagle Scout started in 6th grade.

“[I had to do] tons of stuff, you can’t even really sum it up,” said Fay. “Tons of camping, first aid, learning to be qualified in so many different random things and tons of merit badges.”

In fact, Fay had to obtain at least 21 merit badges and demonstrate Scout Spirit through the Boy Scout Oath and Law, service and leadership. A scout earns merit badges with time and hard work.  Fay had to meet certain requirements for each badge before he was able to receive it. Fay also had to complete an Eagle Scout project.

The Eagle scout project is a project in which Fay had to demonstrate his leadership to plan, organize and direct a project in which he had to be helpful to any religious center, school or his community.

Fay’s project was to fix up an area in the Sedge Meadow Conservation Area. Fay led a team of 26 volunteers to the site, and together they spent a collective 79 hours to rebuild a fence near the Sedge Meadow parking lot.

“I took out this old run-down falling over fence, and I put in a new bigger, safer, stronger and prettier fence,” said Fay.

Fay thinks more kids should become Eagle Scouts because although Boy Scouts requires a lot of work, it is also a lot of fun.

“The Boy Scouts is an amazing program. Anybody, it doesn’t matter who you are, just join,” said Fay. “We camp, make lots of fires, eat good food and play with knives.”

Troop Chairman Matt Karpacz watched Liam complete his transformation from a Boy Scout to an Eagle Scout. As chairman, Karpacz had to approve all of the merit badges that Fay got and approve his project.

“Liam is passionate about people, the environment, and the community,” said Karpacz. “His integrity makes him a proud example of what it takes to be an Eagle Scout.” Karpacz also noted that most scouts never make it to eagle status.

“Troop 1 in Wayland has done an extraordinary job in graduating many Eagle Scouts.” Karpacz said. “They learn, become men and become tremendous citizens through their journey [to become Eagle Scouts].”

“An Eagle Scout is a person that exceeds in honor, morality and duty to the community,” said Karpacz. “Liam exceeds in all of those qualities.”

$210
$1500