Scrambled: The art of potatoes

(Credit: Evan Barber/WSPN)

There are many ingredients that we overlook in cooking, and I’ve noticed that many of them are vegetables.

I think we do this because we don’t always see the full flavor potential in vegetables. One vegetable that I think often gets overlooked, and happens to be one of my favorite foods, is the potato. We often see it mashed, baked, or even roasted or scalloped, but I find that people don’t always treat it in a way that will bring it to its full flavor potential.

One of the reasons I love potatoes so much is because they act like sponges and will soak up any flavor you add to them. I love mashed potatoes because they are so versatile in terms of the different ingredients, flavors and textures you can add to them.

I have a recipe for mashed potatoes that uses baby red bliss potatoes. I leave the skin on the potato to add texture and nutrition. When I’m in the mood for something a little more elegant, I make mashed potatoes with russet potatoes. I peel them and use a hand mixer to make them smooth and velvety. I also add lots of milk, butter and salt. This version of mashed potatoes is perfect for a meal that has a sauce because the potatoes will act as a bed and soak up the flavor from the sauce.

One tip I want to share with you, no matter what kind of potato dish you’re making, is to salt the potatoes before you cook them. Always add a generous handful of salt to your water if you’re boiling potatoes, or toss the potatoes with salt if you’re roasting them, etc. I usually add a pinch of salt at the end as well. If you don’t salt your potatoes before you cook them, it will be difficult to season them when they’re done cooking.

The day before Christmas Eve my mom and I were going over what kind of potato dish to serve for Christmas Eve dinner. We tossed around the usual; mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, etc, but we decided that we wanted to do something different. My mom told me that my aunt used to make Delmonico Potatoes. I had never had them and was ecstatic to learn that one of my favorite ingredients had even more to offer. I searched the internet and old cookbooks for a recipe because I didn’t have my Aunt’s.

The recipe is really simple, so after learning the basics I decided to make up my own. If you’ve never heard of Delmonico potatoes, it is simply parboiled diced potatoes that you combine and bake with a béchamel or white sauce and top with cheese and breadcrumbs. I’ve posted my recipe below. Please try it, and enjoy!

Delmonico Potatoes

Ingredients:
4 cups peeled and diced russet potatoes
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons butter
½ cup flour
4 cups milk
Handful of salt plus more to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
¾ cup toasted plain bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder (optional)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to 425.

Add potatoes to a pot of cold water. Add salt and bring to boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Cooking time will vary depending on size of diced potatoes.

While the potatoes are cooking, melt the stick of butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 3 minutes until slightly golden. Gradually whisk in milk and cook for 8-10 minutes, until thickened and creamy. Add salt to taste.

Drain the potatoes and combine with the sauce. Pour into shallow, greased baking dish. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in small pan, and add bread crumbs. Toast for several minutes and sprinkle over potatoes with the cheddar cheese. Bake in 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese and bread crumbs are bubbly and golden brown.

$210
$1500