Girls hockey team finds its stride

Katherine Goguen scores the game winner against Boston Latin. (Courtesy of Grace Cartwright)

It had been two seasons since the Wayland-Weston girls hockey team won a game. On Saturday, December 17, the losing streak ended in dramatic fashion. The Wayland-Weston “Warcats” were tied 0-0 against Boston Latin, in the final minute. With just 14 seconds remaining, freshman defenseman Katherine Goguen of Weston netted a goal to put the Warcats up 1-0. Fourteen seconds later the buzzer rang and the Warcats won their first game.

“Last year, we would have been happy with tying Boston Latin. This year, we wanted to win,” said senior captain Jess Greenwood.

With two seasons of misery behind them, the Wayland-Weston girls did not stop there.  They went on to beat Brookline 10-1, Newton South 7-2 and Lincoln Sudbury 1-0, to improve to 4-1 on the season.

“We want to keep up what we started. Four wins in a row is pretty good,” said Greenwood.

“It was exciting, and it felt really good since we never had it before,” said junior Jane Haffey.

The previous seasons’ losses haven’t lowered expectations. “It was tough, it was very frustrating and at times discouraging, but people kept their heads high and kept trying to play their best. This year, my expectations were to be more successful and maybe make it to the playoffs, said Haffey.”

With a huge monkey finally off their backs, the Warcat’s look to continue their success this year.

“This season is different,” said Haffey.

“We are a young team, we have a lot of new freshman and a couple eighth graders as well.  Everyone is starting to put it together,”  said Greenwood.

The girls continued their win streak on Saturday, beating Mansfield 9-0, making their record 5-1. Their next game is home against Dover-Sherborn on Wednesday, January 11.

$60
$1500