Wrestling loses to Waltham, 45-25

(Credit: Elizabeth Karpacz/WSPN)

This past Wednesday, the Wayland Warriors lost their wrestling meet against the Waltham Hawks, 45-25.

“We’re struggling. Record wise [3-7-1], we are not doing as well as teams have done in the past,” said head wrestling coach and history teacher Sean Chase.

The meet started off with junior Kevin Skowronski at the weight class of 152. Skowronski won his match, 18-4. He earned four points for Wayland, making the score 4-0.

After Skowronski’s win, a Wayland wrestler forfeited and a Wayland wrestler lost, leaving the score at 12-4, Waltham.

Junior Kevin Kelley, who is normally in weight class 182, was bumped up to 185 for this meet. Kelley pinned the Waltham wrestler in the first round, ending the match and making the score 18-10, Waltham.

Senior John Monahan’s match ended early because the Waltham wrestler was injured. Then Waltham forfeited the next weight class making the score 22-21, Wayland.

After a few other matches, junior Jesse Goddard of weight class 126, won his match, making the score 36-25, Waltham. After this, there was one more match which Wayland lost.

The final score of the meet was 45-25, Waltham.

Senior John Monahan

“There were a couple different ways that we could have won it. I don’t think the score was reflective of how close the match really was. Kevin Skowronski at weight class 152 [wrestled well]. Kevin Kelley and John Monahan came through in their matches tonight as they always do,” said Chase.

“Tonight we were focusing on personal goals. It was meant for individual improvement,” said Kevin Skowronski.

Their next meet is Saturday, January 14th against DCL opponents Concord-Carlisle, Boston Latin, and Acton-Boxborough. The meet will take place at 10am in the Field House.