Bomb threat causes evacuation of WMS

At 1:08 p.m., Wednesday, February 1, the Wayland Middle School received a phone call regarding a bomb in the school building. According to Lt. Patrick Swanick, the caller believed a student brought a bomb to school.

Although the warning was considered “not credible,” Wayland Police and Fire Departments responded immediately as a precaution. WMS students were dismissed from school at the regular time of 1:10 P.M. Shortly after, the building was evacuated of all remaining students and faculty.

“We were asked to search our rooms for any irregular things,” said Diane Muffitt, the WMS Band Director. “We didn’t find anything.”

State police arrived with bomb tracking dogs who scoured the school and found no traces of any bomb materials.

“What the teachers did was go around and check their classrooms,” said Wayland Police Officer Tyler Castagno. “They came back and reported there was nothing out of the ordinary, which made us feel safer and then the dogs went inside to fully check the building and didn’t find anything either.”

“I always believe that you have to be open and let people know what’s happening right away,” said Superintendent Paul Stein who sent an email to parents shortly following the clearance of the building. “It is what it is, it’s unfortunate, but it’s not anything we haven’t dealt with before.”

Wayland Middle School was deemed bomb-free by local and state police at 2:40 P.M. It will be open for normal activities tomorrow morning.

[monoslideshow id= “132”]

$210
$1500