The Girl Scouts of WHS

2.3 million girls are currently a part of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America. (Credit: Grace Perkins/WSPN)

They’re smart, sweet and make millions of dollars off of little cookies. What’s more, there are 2.3 million of them. And some of them are here.  The Girl Scouts of the United States of America continues to be a presence for Wayland kids, even in high school.

Many elementary school girls join the Girl Scouts to spend time with their friends but quit by the time they get to high school. However, a small number of girls at Wayland High School are still a part of the Girl Scout community.

The class of 2012 has a troop of three hard working girls. The class of 2015 has a small troop of nine girls, most of whom have participated in Girl Scouts since kindergarten. The troops now meet about once or twice every two months.

“I’ve been in Girl Scouts since kindergarten,” said senior Christine Cocce, who recently earned her Gold Award by starting the organization Letters for Liberty.

As the Scouts get older, they participate in more community service driven activities.

“My troop did a lot of work at the local food pantry in Wayland,” Cocce said. “I’ve always enjoyed doing community service, and over the years we’ve just gotten more and more into it. I really like that aspect.”

The community service work the girls engage in is rewarding for them, as are the badges they receive.

“I like the volunteer work of being a Girl Scout. It makes me feel like I am making a difference,” said freshman Daly Place. “I have three sashes worth of badges; they are only half covered though.”

Place recently earned her Silver Award by working for the Salvation Army and running three successful food drives.

Not only does being a Girl Scout help you be a better person, but it also gives you the opportunity to set yourself apart when it comes to college applications.

“It helped me for the community service hours and put activities on my resume,” said senior Katerina Perez. “Not a lot of girls in our grade do Girl Scouts, so it sets us apart.”

Although there are many positives about being a high school Girl Scout, there are also some negatives.

“Scouting in high school is a lot different because there is less time to do things, so I feel like it’s less proactive,” Place said.

Many of the Scouts at WHS participate in after school activities. Add to that the average one to two hours of homework per night that most students receive, and it’s difficult for the girls to find time to participate in Girl Scouts.

Not only that, but some hear criticism for engaging in an activity so uncommon among teenagers.

“People do make fun of me for being a Girl Scout, and I wanted to quit so many times,” said Place. “But I am glad I stuck with it; it’s a lot of fun.”

Some of the girls had already quit earlier, like Perez.

“I started in elementary school, but I stopped, and then I started again in eighth grade,” she said. “It opened my eyes to helping others more.”

All in all, the girls have found that being a part of the organization is a positive experience. They enjoy bonding with girls who they would not otherwise get to know, and they encourage other girls to join the troop.

“I think girls should [be Girl Scouts in high school],” said Perez. “It’s not only good for community service, but you really get in touch with the girls, and it’s a lot of fun.”

$210
$1500