Warrior Weekly: Patriot problem

(Credit: Evan Barber/WSPN)

We lost the Super Bowl, and it sucks.

I may be ready to talk about the Super Bowl a little bit, but it’s all still a little too fresh and all too familiar.

The Patriots 21-17 super loss hurts, and it hurts badly. But looking at the big picture, it might hurt even more.

Boston has no doubt had the greatest run in professional sports history, winning seven championships in all four major sports since 2001.

If it wasn’t clear in September when the Red Sox had their historic collapse, it might be now. The Boston sports dynasty is nearing its end. Now I don’t want to believe it, but it’s very hard to stay positive after such a crushing loss.

I do not have faith in the Patriots organization. There, I said it.

The Patriots, arguably more than any other professional sports team, treat their organization as a business. Everything they do is strictly professional, so it’s no wonder they are among the most hated teams in America.

This year, they overachieved. In my opinion, they were lucky to get as close as they did. Their defense was the main issue, but it should be noted that no one on their offense is getting any younger and they can’t stretch the field. The defense has a lot of bright spots, and with four picks in the first two rounds of the drafts, you’d hope that they’d make an effort to get better, but that’s not how the Pats draft.

When the Patriots work the draft, they stockpile picks. I would be stunned if they drafted and kept all four picks they had in the first two rounds. I would also be shocked if they used those picks on skill positions.

Somehow the Patriots seem to do just enough to win. At times it is respectable, but during other times like now, it makes you wonder what a team that was 22 million dollars under the cap could have done if they had spent more money.

There was one big free agency signing that I can remember, and he was a complete bust, Adalius Thomas. The Pats tried the big name free agent market once, and it didn’t work, so they haven’t gone back since. It could be a painful off-season to watch them attempt to do just enough when they could easily make moves that would push them over the top as a team.

I am certainly a Patriots fan, but I am frustrated with the way they run the organization. To make matters worse, the Patriots were odds on favorites to win the 2013 Super Bowl. Let’s see if they make the correct moves to actually win it next year.

Warrior Recap
Last week was a first for the winter season; every team got at least one win.

Girls’ basketball kept at it, and one day after losing to rival Weston, they beat them at Weston for their first victory of the season. That was the first of a tough four-game road stretch, but I think the girls have at least one more victory left in their season.

Boys’ basketball had an impressive three-win week with wins over Fenway, L-S and Weston. The boys qualified for the state tournament and are now looking to finish strong to get a better seed.

Another team qualified for states last week and that was girls’ hockey. Talk about a complete turnaround. Girls hockey, who went two years without winning, now sits at 10-5 for the year with a three-game win streak.

Both hockey programs are hot right now as the boys too have a three-game win streak. They look to take advantage of a favorable end of season and clinch a playoff birth.

Girls’ swimming took home the DCL title once again with Hallie Cramer, Saya Higano, Molly Pierce and Megan Pierce earning DCL All-Star honors.

The boys team finished fifth at DCLs and junior Doug Curtin was selected as a DCL All-Star.

Next up for the swim teams are the sectional finals this weekend and the state finals the following weekend.

Winter season is winding down, and teams are making the playoff push. Check Warrior Scores for the latest updates.

$60
$1500