Delfina Lopez: I feel comfortable here

Delfina Lopez is an exchange student spending six months in Wayland away from her home in Argentina.

Most teenagers spend their summers working or hanging out with friends, and the idea of going to class in the summer is unfamiliar, even scary. But unlike most teenagers, Delfina Lopez will be attending school here in Wayland during her summer vacation.

Lopez is a foreign exchange student visiting Wayland from Rafaela, Argentina, a small city near Santa Fe. She is staying here for six months with her host family, the Saiengas.

For Lopez, living in America is a big culture change from living in Argentina.

“We go out a lot in Argentina; we go to disco, and we go out to bars,” Lopez said. “But I really like it here. The people are very nice, the place, my family here. I’m excited to learn about this country and to visit other places.”

Before coming to America, Lopez took four years of English classes.

“I came here because I wanted to learn to speak English,” Lopez said. “My favorite class is history because I like to learn about what is happening. I’m learning about America.”

Lopez has one host sister named Olivia, who is in the fifth grade at Happy Hollow. Having only one sister is unusual for Lopez, who is one of five girls in her Argentinian family.

Lopez’s oldest sister, Florencia, is 30, Josefina is 25, Emilia is 21 and her younger sister, Julia, is 14.

“We are very close. We have fights, obviously, because they are very common in girls, but we tell each other everything,” Lopez said.

Lopez has a lot to look up to in her three older sisters.

“They talk to me about school and boys, and my younger sister gives me advice too sometimes,” Lopez said.

Even though Lopez’s oldest sister, Florencia, is 13 years older, they are still very close. Florencia is married with three children of her own.

“I love being an aunt. It’s a bit strange at this age, but I love my niece and nephews,” Lopez said.

Lopez has only been in America for two weeks but already feels at home at Wayland High School.

“I’m still learning, but I like the high school. I feel comfortable here,” Lopez said.