The history of the Wayland-Weston rivalry

The Wayland-Weston rivalry is especially intense in football because before playing at the high school level, players were teammates on Pop Warner.

For years, the Wayland High School community has enjoyed watching the Wayland-Weston matchups and cheering on their home team, but what’s really behind this long lasting rivalry?

The exact date and motives behind the the start of the rivalry are unclear, but according to Wayland High School’s Dean of Students, Scott Parseghian, the rivalry is a result of Wayland and Weston being neighboring towns.

“It’s only right because they’re our bordering towns. They’re the kids that you run into at Papa Gino’s or somewhere else. So you know, school pride; you just want to bolster your school,” said Parseghian.

Many students agree with Parseghian, but others take a different stand on the rivalry.

“I think it just randomly happened one year after a loss,” said Andrew Bachman, a junior at Wayland High School. “Ever since that, rumors have just escalated and kids just pick fights with Weston.”

As both towns evolved over the years, some Wayland teams combined with Weston.

The crew team, which won the MPRSA Spring State Championship Regatta for six consecutive years, is a mix of both Wayland and Weston students. This is also the case for the girls hockey team.

So far, the hybrid Wayland-Weston crew team has proved to be very successful. Since 2007, the WW crew has earned 54 first place finishes, 20 second places finishes and five third place races at the Massachusetts Public School Championships.

But the crew team is not the only Wayland-Weston team doing well; this year’s girls varsity hockey team’s record currently stands at 10-6.

“We don’t ignore the rivalry at hockey, but when we say things about it we just kind of joke around,” said junior Jane Haffey, a member of the girls varsity hockey team.

While some Wayland-Weston teams have found success in their seasons, many others teams look forward to their games against Weston and continuing on with the old rivalry, a tradition that has been around for over 75 years.

In 1934, Wayland had it’s first Thanksgiving football game against Weston High School. Wayland won the first game with a score of 7-6, and the tradition for the annual Thanksgiving game was born.

This year, as Wayland fans gathered in the stands on Thanksgiving morning, they watched in awe as parachuters landed on the field, carrying the Wayland flag and the American flag. At the end of the game, Wayland had clinched another win on home turf, claiming the trophy for another year. With this year’s game, the Wayland v. Weston Turkey Day overall record favors Wayland, 45-29-3.

Wayland wrestlers also have an annual match against Weston on Christmas Eve and the swimmers have their Wayland-Weston meet during Christmas break.

But no matter for what team, for almost a century, the Wayland-Weston rivalry has continued to bring out the competitiveness in both towns whether it be against each other on Christmas Eve or together for a state championship.