Warrior Weekly: State tournaments part II

Winter finally arrived in time for the state tournaments. The hockey and basketball teams fight for their lives this week against Lowell and Danvers, respectively.

It’s March and it finally feels like winter, does that mean it won’t be spring until June? I hope not, but the winter weather came just in time for the state playoffs. With the girls hockey, boys hockey and boys basketball teams all playing last week, it was a great time to follow Warrior sports.

The girls hockey team got it all started on Wednesday, in Franklin, where they lost, 4-2. It was a great season for the girls who made playoffs this year after not winning once the previous two years. This is exactly what the Wayland-Weston program needed. Even though times were rough, and the team was almost cut, the ladies hung in there, creating a wide open future for years to come.

Fortunately, that was the only loss of the week for the Warriors. Boys hockey played on Thursday, against Swampscott, putting together a three-goal second period which they were able to ride to a 3-1 victory. They followed that victory up with another one against 2nd seeded Nashoba Tech, 2-1, on Sunday. Sophomore Kevin Yun had both of the goals.

Next up for the boys will be Lowell on Thursday in Chemlsford at 8pm.

Boys basketball played their first playoff game Saturday night in a packed Field House, beating Hamilton-Wenham, 59-46. The boys will face 2nd seeded Danvers in Wilmington at 7 on Tuesday. This game is full of story lines. Wayland lost to Danvers in last year’s tournament, and our soccer team knocked off Danvers in the tournament this year. They were the top seed in the North, and have some of the same players on both teams. The game promises to be a good one, with the winner of this game favored to win the Division 3 North Section.

Senior Show is so exhausting it could be considered a sport. If you were wondering, Senior Show will be this Friday and Saturday (at 7pm), tickets will be on sale in the Commons. This promises to be a fun week for Wayland sports, hopefully everyone can make it to a game or two. These teams have worked hard and deserve a solid cheering section, it’s the least we can do. As always, check Warrior Scores for the latest. This week is going to fly by.