Regulations and expectations for the 2012 Senior Show

Debate over restrictions and post-show parties surrounded the class of 2011's Senior Show.

Every year around the beginning of March, the senior class can be seen working hard every day after school in preparation for the highly anticipated Senior Show. As most members of the WHS community know, the show is usually accompanied by drama, both on and off the stage, concerning the performance itself as well as the traditional post-show celebrations.

Although every year there are differing opinions about the rules put in place to keep the content of the senior show “school appropriate,” this year, things seem to be going a bit smoother than they have in the past. The seniors are generally following the rules set in place, and the administration seems to have loosened up a bit as well.

Kathleen Thompson and Carolyn Crary, the advisors to the class of 2012 who are in charge of this year’s Senior Show, decided not to use Senior Show rules that were written up by Bayard Klimasmith, the vice principal last year. According to Principal Pat Tutwiler, Thompson and Crary’s rules are “smart rules around general respect” and “they are not as formulaic in terms of the rules as last year.”

“Our rules are no drug references, it has to be clean, and we’re keeping clothes on,” said Thompson. “We’re really getting away from making fun of other kids because there are too many things that are funny where you don’t have to cut somebody down in order to make it funny. Plus nobody understands those jokes; they’re usually inside jokes between a few people, and it’s not interesting for anybody if that’s the case.”

“As far as I know, no making fun of teachers is still a rule, but now it has turned into something where if you get their permission, you can include them in the skit. I thought that had been taken out because teachers did not want to be the bad teacher and ask to be taken out of the skit, but I guess it’s back in,” said Dean of Students Scott Parseghian. “Basic rules are have fun, stay sober.”

The seniors still have mixed opinions about the censorship of the Senior Show, and some feel that the rules are well balanced, while others think that they still confine the performance too much.

“They are definitely improving every year to make the show better,” said senior Tommy Hoopes. “I think that over the past few years they’ve been really strict about the content of the show, but they are learning and loosening up a bit while still keeping it clean.”

“I think that the new rules and strictness involving us making fun of people have definitely made the show worse, and ‘making fun’ sounds worse than what it is,” said senior Juliette Bastarache. “It is all in good fun; I have had friends who were portrayed in previous shows, and they didn’t care at all and thought it was funny. Then again, our grade doesn’t need to rely on making fun of other people to make our show funny; we are just a funny, entertaining group of seniors.”

The other part of Senior Show that has previously caused problems are the senior celebrations that traditionally take place after the performances. These are usually grade-wide get-togethers at a house with parental supervision and chaperones, and they are a way for the whole senior class to come together and bond as a grade. In past years there have been incidents with substance abuse before these parties, so there has been a continued debate as to whether the parties should take place at all.

Although the administration understands that what happens outside of school is also outside of their area of authority, they want to make sure that their students are safe.

“As much as people criticize me, parties are outside of my jurisdiction, but I feel a responsibility as someone who loves and cares about all of the students to at least alert people about the fact that I can predict that some bad stuff is going to happen that night,” said Tutwiler. “My recommendation is that people choose to do safe things Friday night and Saturday night, and whatever folks decide to do, I just hope that they make good decisions because I really don’t want anything bad to happen.”

“In terms of stuff after the show, that’s not something that as advisors we have anything to do with because it’s completely outside of here,” said Thompson. “You guys are teenagers, and I don’t see a problem with kids going out and socializing when things are appropriate, but I think the problem is that parents have good intentions of wanting to host something, which is really nice, but it gets ruined because kids binge drink on the way there, they show up inebriated and they ruin it for the people trying to do the right thing.”

Some seniors feel that the administration has gotten too involved in the social events after the shows in previous years and that the class of 2012 shouldn’t be chastised for past grades’ mistakes.

“I feel like the administration has a little too much influence on what our grade gets to do to celebrate afterward; they should trust that we will take care of ourselves and not create any sort of trouble,” said senior Willem Wang.

“I think the administration has been making an effort to work with the seniors this year, and so far they seem to be a little more reasonable than they were for last year’s seniors [regarding events after the show] but that could all change once the show actually starts,” said Bastarache. “The school shouldn’t send out emails to parents telling them what they can and can’t let their children do out of school.”

Regardless of the actions of seniors in previous years, the administration expects that the class of 2012 will behave appropriately and that Senior Show will be a good experience for the grade.

“I expect the same thing that I expect of students every day, which is to make good decisions and to take care of one another,” said Tutwiler.

“I feel like this grade is very different from some of the other grades that have gone through here; I think people make good decisions,” said Thompson. “We didn’t have any issues at Prom or Semi, and I expect that the same thing will hold true for Senior Show weekend. My hope is that we continue to do what we have done in the past and that no one person ruins it for everyone else because I think that’s unfair to the class. I don’t anticipate having any problems.”

The administration understands that the Senior Show is an opportunity for each graduating class to come together but also a privilege the administration intends to help make the best experience it can be.

“When else do you have your whole grade, or almost your whole grade, participating in something like this?” said Parseghian. “This is one thing that I think truly starts the ending of your senior year and brings the whole class together.”

$210
$1500