Maddie, Cashen and Emma Conroy: It’s hard for people to get to know just me

Maddie, Cashen and Emma Conroy, the only triplets at Wayland High School, have developed their own identities and learned to express themselves as individuals both on and off Wayland High School's campus.

Whether they are playing soccer together or acting in a school play, Maddie, Cashen and Emma Conroy, the only triplets at Wayland High School, have learned how to live with two sisters of exactly the same age.

One of the downsides of being triplets are the constant comparisons. Because of these judgments, the three chose to go through elementary and middle school in different classes.

“It was nice not being in classes with them at a young age because then we could establish our own personalities,” said Cashen, born six minutes after Maddie.

Even without being in the same classes, the Conroy triplets still saw each other during recess and at lunch during elementary and middle school.

“Oftentimes, I think it’s hard for people to get to know just me when they’re meeting two other people who look like me,” said Maddie, the oldest triplet.

Once the sisters reached high school, some of their classes began to overlap. This year, all three of them are in the same Spanish class. The triplets tend to sit away from each other in class, looking to spend time with other friends they see less often.

Even with the convenience of having someone to help with schoolwork, the triplets rarely do their work together, but they do think that having their sisters as peers gives them more motivation to do well in school.

“[If I weren’t a triplet] I think I might actually be doing worse in school,” said Emma, born four hours after Maddie and Cashen.

As the sisters grew older, their interests began to branch out. They chose to do separate things as their tastes and talents took them in different directions.

Throughout high school, they have stayed away from picking the same extracurricular activities.

Despite the pressure to do the same things, the Conroy triplets are satisfied with the paths they have taken.

“[Being triplets] hasn’t really stopped us from following our interests, but it has led us to new ones,” said Emma.

$210
$1500