Scrambled: Spring smoothies

Looking for a drink to cool you down this spring? Try Ellen Barber's banana strawberry smoothie.
Happy spring! Even though we hardly had a winter, I’m so excited for the warm weather. To celebrate, I went home and made one of my favorite warm weather snacks, a banana smoothie.

Like Carolyn wrote in her last blog, the best thing about cooking is the ability to get creative and make it your own. A smoothie has the flexibility to be whatever you want: healthy, sweet or a combination of the two.

Despite my sweet tooth, my favorite kind of smoothie is banana strawberry.

I try to make it taste as tropical as I can, so besides adding banana and strawberries, I also put in a little bit of either vanilla or coconut extract, depending on my mood. Adding only coconut extract tastes a little bland, so I like to add a couple spoonfuls of sugar as well. If you don’t happen to have strawberries in the house, you can add strawberry jelly instead, which may sound gross, but tastes just as good.

The amount of each ingredient you put in all depends on what you like best. I usually put in one banana, 5-6 cut up strawberries, a cup of milk and a splash of vanilla or coconut extract.

Enjoy!