Fame rehearsals worth the time for actors

Rehearsals for Fame the Musical are time consuming for student-actors, but much like practices are for athletes, rehearsals are well worth the time commitment, according to WSPN reporter Chris Connell.

Every day after school, athletes and actors alike spends hours practicing. Although the two activities are different, both groups have the same goal in mind: success.

In parts of the winter and spring seasons, Fame the Musical cast members attend two hour and 45 minute rehearsals from Monday through Saturday. Some would argue that is too much time to spend on an after school activity. Personally, I disagree.

As an athlete, I know that two hour practices are used to partake in drills, conditioning and skill exercises. However, when a game day rolls around, it’s going to be just like the 100 games before that. I know how to play, where I should be moving and to whom I should be passing. With theater productions, you don’t get the same sense of repetition; each new play these actors perform is different.

As an athlete, goals for the season always seem to change depending on how the season is going. What starts as “finishing the season above .500” could easily end up “being a contender for a state championship.” For a play, the actors have one group goal and that is to put on a great show.

Most athletes who participate in Wayland Athletics know the game. The season is a time for everyone to try to “click” on the field and learn how to play with your teammates.

Actors only get two months to learn, practice and perform a set of totally new material. Most of these actors, if not all, have never performed Fame, so they are going into the show not knowing exactly what to expect.

From my minimal acting experience, I know it can take hours just to learn a few lines. I can’t imagine how much time and work it must take to learn a whole play, not to mention the movements, dances and costume changes.

In sports, teams can qualify for the playoffs where it’s do or die. The play has a ‘crunch time’ as well. In both situations, people are putting in everything they have. From my experience on the boys varsity soccer team this year, I know that when this time comes around, it gets intense. Practices are longer, everyone is ready to go immediately after school and everyone is always working hard.

The play is no exception. With the first show on April 25, actors are entering crunch time. The actors will be spending up to five hours per day over April vacation to rehearse in preparation for their upcoming performances.

People play sports and participate in plays because it is something they truly love. It’s something that they want to spend their time doing and about which they are passionate. These students live for the relationships they build with their team or cast. Practices every day might be strenuous, but there’s no better feeling than seeing it all come together in the grand finale.

At the end of it all, I think that the actors’ longs days of rehearsal will turn out to be worth it for every cast member and director when they take their final bows.

Find out more about Fame the Musical »

$210
$1500