Fame the Musical: Review

Iliana Smalanskas sings Maybell's Prayer during Thursday night's performance. Performances will continue through Saturday April 28.

I’ve always watched the Wayland High School Theater Ensemble’s productions, and Fame the Musical was by far the best production I have seen. The story was great and all of the performers did an amazing job.

All of the musical numbers were well done, and there was a variety of different songs, which made the musical interesting. The musical had everything from upbeat and energetic songs like Hard Work to a rap song called Jack’s rap. The variety of songs kept the musical interesting and entertaining.

One of my favorite songs was Let’s Play a Love Scene Reprise. This song included the characters Nick Piazza (Jonathan von Mering) and Serena Katz (Julia Lopriore). They both have amazing voices, and the duet was charming.

Caitlin O’Keeffe was another performer with a great voice. In her solo, In L.A., her voice was powerful. There were many other strong voices, especially the characters of Greta Bell (Carly McKee) and Jack Escovero (Greg Seage).

Besides the singing, the musical also had a lot of great dance numbers. The ballet dances were excellent, and for the most part, the group dances were in sync.

Erika Moran, who plays Iris Kelly, was in many dances and did an excellent job. She was very graceful in the ballet dances and was perfect for her part. The other dancers also did a good job and the choreography was nice.

Fame is a perfect musical for a high school to perform because it addresses many of the problems that high schoolers deal with. It was also very funny. Gabe Sehringer, as Mr. Sheinkopf, had a hilarious accent.

Fame was definitely a success because it was funny, entertaining, the musical numbers were good, and high school students can relate. Fame was the first musical in the new theater, and it was a great start to the many musicals that will be performed. If you haven’t seen Fame yet, I highly suggest you do.

$210
$1500