Junior E-Board plans for upcoming Prom

The final stages of Prom are coming to an end with the tickets sold, tables set and flower forms in.

As springtime arrives, the halls of WHS are filled with talk of junior Prom. This event, perhaps the most famous high school tradition, generates elaborate proposals and extensive planning each year.

While April might be the first month that Prom has crossed most students’ minds, the junior class E-Board has been planning the event, which will be held from 7-11PM on Saturday, May 19, for over a year.

According to Prom Committee member and Class of 2013 President Kruti Vora, planning for the 2012 Prom began just one week after last year’s Sophomore Semi.

By last May, E-Board had already booked the Hyatt Regency in Boston for the event. Almost every one of E-Board’s weekly meetings this year have been dedicated to either fundraising for Prom or directly planning Prom.

“I would say that Prom is the single most important event that we’ve planned for as an E-Board,” said Vora.

Despite their best efforts, E-Board admits that Prom planning hasn’t quite gone off without a hitch. This year, a controversial administrative decision was made to change the date of Prom to a Saturday, rather than a Friday as it has been in past years.

“It would be better on Friday because that way people could have Prom weekend, which is a pretty big tradition here,” said junior Caroline Ayanian. Ayanian also noted the difficulty that the date change has created for rowers, who have regionals the same weekend as Prom and will not be back in Wayland until Saturday afternoon.

“E-board tried very hard to reflect the views of the grade and tried to change Prom back to a Friday, but we reached a certain point where we decided to make the best of the situation we were given instead to ensure that we had an amazing Prom,” said Vora.

Vora feels confidently that this year’s Prom will be distinguished by its location. The Hyatt is situated in the heart of Boston and has a newly renovated balcony that will be open to students the night of the dance.

“Honestly, it’s amazing, and if everything comes out according to plan, it’s going to be unbelievable,” said Vora.

$210
$1500