2008 graduate invites Keaney to J.E. Wallace Sterling Award ceremony

Jake Wang invited English Department Head Brian Keaney to attend an award ceremony honoring J.E. Wallace Sterling Award for Scholastic Achievement.

When WHS class of 2008 graduate and valedictorian Jake Wang was awarded the J.E. Wallace Sterling Award for Scholastic Achievement, given to the top 25 students of the School of Humanities and Sciences at Stanford University, he didn’t forget to acknowledge his favorite teacher.

As a part of the award ceremony, each winner was permitted to invite a high school teacher who greatly influenced his academic career, as well as a university faculty member. The award ceremony consisted of a three hour luncheon in which faculty members introduced the students, who introduced their high school teachers, who proceeded to speak about the students who invited them. Stanford paid for the selected high school teachers’ airfare, hotel accommodations, shuttle bus rides and food. Wang invited WHS English Department Head Brian Keaney.

“Certainly by inviting me to Stanford for this award, I was overwhelmed, and I felt that it was an incredible honor,” said Keaney. “It was a real morale boost to be treated this way. I’ve never had an experience where someone paid for my airfare and hotel accommodations. That doesn’t usually happen in education; it’s more of a business world experience.”

Keaney also observed that although none of the award-winning students were English majors, over half of them invited a high school English teacher. He believes this is related to the assignments and subject matter taught in an English class.

“I think one of the reasons students do connect with English teachers at times is that we have the privilege of learning about students through things that they write,” said Keaney.

Although Wang said he had many wonderful teachers at WHS, Keaney stood out to him as an inspirational teacher who impacted him greatly.

“He truly believes in his students’ abilities, and he inspired me to never stop working toward my goals,” said Wang. “I always considered Mr. Keaney a great mentor and friend. I would not be at Stanford without him.”

Keaney taught Wang in English class at WHS two years in a row, in sophomore honors English and again in honors American literature.

Upon meeting Wang, Keaney immediately observed that he was gifted beyond his years and would be capable of achieving great things without the assistance of a teacher.

“He was someone who I didn’t think I was going to be able to teach a lot about writing because he came in with such incredible skills,” said Keaney. “With some students you just need to get out of the way and let them do what they do.”

Although Wang entered Keaney’s classes with much greater abilities than the average student, Keaney’s impact on Wang helped shape him into the student and person he is today. Although Wang majored in biology, he credits Keaney with his interest in literature.

“Mr. Keaney’s love for literature was infectious. I still remember reading The Grapes of Wrath and writing about All Quiet on the Western Front in his class. They are some of my favorite novels to this day,” said Wang. “I took several literary classes in college because of Mr. Keaney’s influence. For example, my favorite class during freshman year was a course called Journeys, which was taught by Tobias Wolff. Many of the works we read in that class (short stories by Flannery O’Connor and Isak Dinesen, as well as Albert Camus’ The Stranger) have helped shape my worldview. I have Mr. Keaney to thank for that.”

Besides admiring Keaney’s passion for literature, Wang respected Keaney’s positive attitude, which inspired him to join a student organization that teaches health education to elementary and middle school students in underprivileged public schools around Stanford.

“Other than an appreciation for great literature, Mr. Keaney taught me the importance of giving back. Knowing what a big difference he made in my life motivated me to teach too,” Wang said.

Wang advised students to build positive relationships with their high school teachers for academic reasons as well as personal.

“Never be afraid of asking questions. Being dedicated to your education is the foundation for developing good relationships with teachers,” Wang said. “Also, if you have non-academic problems, don’t hesitate to seek out a teacher for advice. Wayland High School teachers are incredibly approachable and helpful.”