Scrambled: Keeping it simple

The newest addition to Scrambled, Liam Fay, is sharing his love of food and cooking with a camping recipe for bread.
Hello WSPN readers!

My name is Liam Fay, I am a junior a WHS and I love to cook. For those who are familiar with Scrambled, I am taking the spot of the recently graduated Carolyn Jones. I’m very excited about helping Ellen with this blog, and now I have an excuse to try out some crazy recipes that I have either tasted or seen on Food Network.

For anybody who doesn’t know me, I love camping; I basically spent this past summer in a tent. One of my favorite parts about camping is (you guessed it) the food! After a long hike there’s nothing like sitting down  to a big bowl of whatever. On long trips, the meals were usually just that: a giant combination of whatever food we were carrying.

On one trip though, we were lucky enough to have a small oven. Although this oven was about as effective as Tom is at capturing Jerry, after a week’s worth of burned food we figured out how to make some pretty good bread.

The recipe that we used is very simple. To spice things up, we added other ingredients. Some of our favorite add-ins were broccoli, oats, cinnamon, raisins, italian seasoning and different types of cheeses.

Simple Bread

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon yeast
1 ½ cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 ½ cups flour
Tons of anything you want (optional)

Mix the yeast and lukewarm water. Cover and let sit until the mixture foams; this should take five to ten minutes. Add in salt, sugar and whatever add-ins you want (you will just have to eyeball your add-ins, and stop adding when you think there is enough). Make sure that whatever you add is diced fairly small so that it will be able to cook through. Add the flour slowly. Knead the mixture for five to ten minutes, until all the ingredients are consistent. You will need to keep flouring your hands and the surface that you knead it on so that the dough doesn’t stick to anything. Then put the dough in a greased bread pan. Cover and let rise for one hour. Then bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about an hour. When the bread is done, you will hear a hollow sound when you tap it, and the top should be slightly browned.

Just have fun with this recipe, and if it doesn’t work out, feed it to your pet or younger sibling and try again!

$60
$1500