There is more to a game than just the competition

During the boys soccer team's Kicks for Cancer charity fundraiser game, each of the team members put the name of someone who they knew who had fought cancer on the back of their shirts.
Each year, teams at Wayland High School participate in various games for charitable causes. Over the last weekend of September, both the boys and girls soccer team played in their annual fundraiser games. For the girls, it was their Kids to Kids benefit game, and the boys played in their third consecutive Kicks for Cancer game.

Luckily for me, I was able to play in the Kicks for Cancer game. Instead of giving a play by play and talking about what we could have done here or there, I’m going to talk about what I think these types of games mean to me, the athletes who play in them and the community.

I think these games allow athletes to really play for someone and something that they care about. For example, as a team we all taped our wrists and wrote the initials J.G. to remember Jim Griffin, who was a huge influence for so many athletes and the Wayland community. Each athlete also wore the name of someone they knew who had fought a battle with cancer. Right as we got into the huddle before the game, David Cohen said to the team, “Play for the name on your back.” I think that all the athletes used that as motivation to keep fighting throughout the game.

As someone who has been playing sports my entire life, I realize that there is more to a game than just the competition. When you’re given something to play for, it really changes the dynamic of why you play.

These games bring about a sense of doing something for a greater purpose. As much of a cliché as that sounds, when you’re playing and you see all the support around you, it really does have a lasting impact. Aside from the impact that these games have on the players, they also have a huge impact on the community and the organizations the games support.

Last year, many Wayland High School teams played a game in honor of Mr. Griffin, and they would donate money that was raised to the Jim Griffin Family Support Trust. The fact that so many teams made an effort to be a part of this and the money they raised really backs up how important and meaningful these fundraiser/charity games are to everyone.

For the teams, these games provide a way for them to give back to others, a value that members of the teams always take very seriously. On September 29, the girls soccer team raised over $550 to support Kids to Kids.

These games provide opportunities for athletes to get involved with these great causes as well as provide support for so many different charities and organizations. No matter who’s playing or who they’re playing for, I think that these games will always be a great part of the athletics at Wayland.