Scrambled: Pumpkin bread

In this week's edition of Scrambled, Ellen shares her favorite recipe for pumpkin bread.
My favorite parts of fall are the smells. I can’t get enough of the smell of wet asphalt or the cascading orange leaves, but my all time favorite smell is walking into a house and smelling warm cinnamon and nutmeg.

As much as I love the food of fall, it seems wrong eating it at any other time. So even though I hate that the weather is getting colder, I can’t wait to spend the next two months indulging myself with apple and pumpkin based recipes.

This weekend, I made a simple pumpkin bread. A warm piece of it was the perfect way to end the long weekend and start fall.

Try out this http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pumpkin-Bread-367512 >recipe!

Last year I wrote a post about the organization Spread the Bread, and I feel that it’s worth bringing up again. After September 11, 2001, Wayland residents Juliette Fay and Karen Kiefer started the organization in order brighten other people’s days. They would bake loaves of bread, attach kind notes to them and give them to people who were suffering in some way or people who help out the community (police officers, firefighters, etc.).

Inspired by this I ended up doubling this pumpkin bread recipe and giving it to a teacher who has been going through a rough time. I don’t know why, but the reaction you receive when you give something is unbelievable. Even if someone isn’t going through a hard time, I strongly suggest randomly giving someone baked goods. It’s extremely rewarding.