Regina Yu: I fell in love with the ribbon

Freshman Regina Yu has been doing rhythmic gymnastics for the past seven years and has competed in Junior Olympics several times.
When many students think of gymnastics, they normally think of artistic gymnastics: someone doing flips, cartwheels and handsprings across a mat or someone swinging around a high bar. But freshman Regina Yu, who is a rhythmic gymnast, focuses on a very different aspect of the sport.

Rhythmic gymnastics is focused on an apparatus, which could be a ball, ribbon, rope, hoop or clubs. The gymnast must keep the apparatus in constant motion while he or she dances to the music playing.

Seven years ago, Yu and her parents tried to find a sport for Yu to participate in. She first tried soccer and then picked up ice skating instead. However, none of her friends ice skated with her, so Yu decided not to keep skating.

During this time, Yu’s grandmother, who was a rhythmic gymnast when she was younger, suggested that Yu try the sport. The Yu family also bumped into a friend whose daughter was also doing rhythmic gymnastics. Yu took her grandmother’s advice and started to learn rhythmic gymnastics; she has continued participating and competing in the sport for the last seven years.

“I fell in love with the ribbon,” Yu said. “It’s the main reason why I started [rhythmic gymnastics].”

Yu practices six days a week for three to four hours, except on Saturdays when she practices for seven hours.

Throughout the year Yu competes in roughly eight competitions leading up to Junior Olympics.

“Really, six of the competitions are just to prepare us,” Yu said. “Regionals is the biggest competition because that’s basically to see if you’re good enough to get into Junior Olympics.”

According to Yu, Junior Olympics is easier than regionals.

“Of course, Junior Olympics is pretty big, but it’s easier than regionals. However that’s usually when I feel the pressure,” Yu said.

Yu has competed in Junior Olympics numerous times and has won silver four times and gold once.

“I would like to think of myself as a professional,” Yu said. “Sadly I’m not at that stage yet, though I’m pretty close.”