Dubtown Beat: Dubstep and house music

In this week's edition of the Dubtown Beat, blogger Kevin Capasso discusses Submotion Orchestra, Baauer and Nero.

Editor’s note: Please be advised that some of the music listed may contain explicit and/or inappropriate content.

One make or break quality I have for musicians is if the they can perform well live, it adds something to their work. This rule doesn’t apply well to some genres like Dubstep or House music, but Submotion Orchestra breaks this trend. They describe themselves as a “Progressive live Dubstep sound,” and this may seem a bit contradictory, but you’ll realize what they mean when you hear them.

All Yours – Submotion Orchestra

They are a 7 person outfit from England, and their line up is similar to traditional jazz combos: drums, percussion, electric bass, piano, fx & production, trumpet and vocals. Their sound is unique; I’d say it’s a mix of jazz, ambient, dubstep, and downtempo is clean and atmospheric. I’m happy to see the band is gaining popularity because they are bringing a whole new sound to the music scene and challenging the norm.

Finest Hour – Submotion Orchestra

Baauer is a electronic producer at the forefront of the EDM trap movement. While he has only released a couple original songs and a handful of remixes, he is critically acclaimed and has a strong fan base. His focus on quality and his distinctive sound makes him a force to be reckoned with. His remix of the new Nero singe, Won’t You Be There, preserves the mood of the original while completely changing the style, mood and tone. The production is top notch; it’s filled with clean, full bass and piercing leads. My favorite part of the song is the second drop; it snuck up on me and knocked me off my feet the first time I heard it.

Nero – Won’t You (Be There)

Here’s a more laid-back but captivating Baauer remix. The song he remixes is more folksy-indie, and he manages to keep the emotion of the original while putting his signature spin on it.

Winter Is All Around You (Baauer Remix) – First Aid Kit “

And speaking of Nero, the English dubstep giants, they recently teamed up with Skrillex to remix a song of the new Monsta EP, which was released on Skirllex’s Label, OWSLA. The Song is called Holdin’ On and is remixed as a drum ‘n bass tune. The interesting thing about the Original Artist, Monsta, is that the group consists of two producers and a dedicated vocalist, instead some producers just sampling or featuring singers. The vocalist has a uncommon voice for the EDM scene, as he has a bluesy, soulful tone.

Holdin’ On (Skrillix and Nero Remix) – MONSTA