Spirit Day adjusted with new advisory program

As Spirit Day approaches, students will adjust to the new rules and regulations because of the new advisory system.

Hundreds of black and orange seniors flood the school, cheering at the top of their lungs as they run a communal lap around the field house. Underclassmen watch from the stands, each separate class decked out in separate color. It’s Spirit Day, just hours before school is out for Thanksgiving break, and the WHS community is on fire with school spirit.

Many WHS students consider Spirit Day a highlight of the school year. In past years, students spent the day traveling with their homerooms and competing with other grades in various activities like teacher trivia, capture the flag and “name that song.” But with the introduction of advisory groups, there will be a change in the traditional Spirit Day schedule.

For the first 35 minutes of the day, advisory groups will participate in a community service project, such as raising donations for Toys for Tots or putting together a box of canned goods for a homeless shelter or food pantry.

Advisory groups will be allowed to choose from a list of 10-15 possible community service projects.

“The message is to give thanks for what we have, and to help out somebody when we can. I think it’s a great message to go along with what we’re doing,” said Dean of Students Scott Parseghian.

This year’s Spirit Day will consist of four sessions, rather than the traditional five, to accommodate the community service project. Despite one less session for competition, the activities will remain unchanged from previous years.

Rather than hosting two competing homerooms like in past years, areas for each activity will host three advisory groups and one senior homeroom. Upon arrival, seniors and the three advisory groups will divide according to grade before the start of the game. This way, students are still able to compete with their own grade. At the end of each activity, students will regroup with their advisory and continue to the next location.

Despite rumors, Parseghian denies the myth that seniors automatically win each year.

“I’m the one who counts the votes, and it just happens that seniors have won every time,” said Parseghian.

“In past years the seniors have won, mostly because seniors come in with the most energy and the most excitement about the day because it’s their last year to do it,” said student council president Doug Curtin.

At the end of the day, students will follow the old tradition of gathering in the field house to hear which grade is deemed the winner. In addition to the annual band and cheer-leading performance, each grade will nominate a student that has a unique talent. The nominees will then compete in a talent show against one another. After all contestants have performed their acts, school staff will vote on a winner. Whoever wins the talent show will contribute points to the final tally of his or her grade’s points.

Both Parseghian and Curtin look forward to the new modifications this year, and both believe the revised Spirit Day schedule is in the school’s best interests.

“Things do change, and I think this way will be a nice setup that can last for years with advisory,” said Curtin.

Senior Spirit Day Leadership Quotes:

“I intend to treat all members of the school equally.”“I will put my team’s interest ahead of my own as a leader.”

“I want to be supportive of those within our group and not let my competitiveness get the best of me.”

“I’m going to demonstrate good leadership on spirit day by leading by example – I’m going to have good sportsmanship, have fun, and support everyone.”

“I would give a friendly high five after an underclassman goes against me in charades or some other such game.”

“One thing I’m going to do as a leader is to make sure we stay communicating, keep up the talking.”

“I will demonstrate leadership by enforcing ‘friendly competition’.”

“Optimistic/outgoing – stay upbeat, cheer people on.”

“Congratulate people/cheer them on even if I don’t know them; not put people down or brag a lot.”

“I will help underclassmen understand games and activities that they don’t know how to do so they’ll feel more comfortable participating.”

“Be nice to freshmen even though they’re my competitors.”

“Bring a good attitude, not bring the group down.”

“Encourage underclassmen to try hard and do well by cheering them on, rather than booing them or yelling.”

$210
$1500