Zen & M’s: The art of being a beginner

This week Caitlin talks about a new mentality that you can apply to workouts, school work and life in general.

Recently, I received the advice to always approach activities through the eyes of a beginner.

This is a particularly good lesson to consider given that it is now a new quarter. It is time to leave the past behind, good or bad. No matter how you performed during the first quarter of school, it doesn’t define you – so, let’s focus on the road ahead and get back to basics.

Earlier in high school, I would often make the mistake of thinking that as a highschooler, it was not appropriate to ask for help because I should know how to do everything myself, right? Wrong. This mistake in thinking can lead to much unnecessary stress.

Nowadays, I know that acknowledging myself as a beginner or seeking advice from others pays off in the long run. Now, I take my time and I get help in areas that I need it. Also, the burden of doing everything immaculately the first time around is removed from my shoulders. Looking through the eyes of a beginner adds another layer to the old adage, “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.” Even if you do succeed, try, try again, and take the time to reflect on your past performances.

I can’t conclude this blog post, however, without giving you a concrete example or mentioning one of my workouts. Not too long ago, I was having a lot of difficulty with the half moon pose. At that point, I’d been practicing yoga regularly for months, and I thought taking modifications would be a sign of weakness. But, one class, I decided to heed the advice I’m giving to you in this post and used a block to help me balance. By using the modification, I actually performed the pose more accurately and achieved the stretch and muscle conditioning I was seeking.

Just to be clear, I’m not asking you to take this so literally that you always pursue the easier of two options. What I’m saying is to see the world as an opportunity, to learn and find opportunities and to learn in everything you do. By adopting this attitude, the sky’s the limit, your stress is reduced and you’ll be the best that you can be in all facets of your life!