Gianna Fargnoli: Time just flies by when you’re on the ice

Sophomore Gianna Fargnoli has been playing ice hockey for almost 12 years. Fargnoli also earned a spot on the Wayland-Weston varsity girls hockey team as an eighth grader.
Have you heard of Cammi Granato or Angela James? Probably not, but they did something that no woman had ever done before. In 2010, they were the first women inducted into the Professional Hockey Hall of Fame.

Women’s ice hockey has come a long way since its creation. In 1998, it was made an official Olympic sport, and more and more young girls start to play every year.

Sophomore Gianna Fargnoli, however, started to play hockey almost 12 years ago. Fargnoli even made the Wayland-Weston girls varsity hockey team as an eighth grader.

“There weren’t enough girls, so they needed eighth graders from both Weston and Wayland. It was a lot of fun,” Fargnoli said.

Fargnoli knew she had always wanted to be a hockey player after she saw her brothers playing and enjoying the sport.

“Time just flies by when you’re on the ice,” Fargnoli said.

Fargnoli’s favorite hockey memory was in eighth grade when she scored the first goal of the season for the varsity team. On a team of older players, the goal proved to be a confidence booster for Fargnoli.

“I wasn’t really looking to take any attention to myself, but it felt good to score that goal,” Fargnoli said.

This year the girls hockey team hopes to improve on what was a very successful season last year, in which they earned a record of 10-8-2. Furthermore, the girls hockey team’s practices are only an hour long because of the available ice time.

“We are going to come out strong. We are now older and more experienced. We are a good team,” Fargnoli said.

Fargnoli finds inspiration from many professional hockey players, including Tyler Seguin and Alex Ovechkin. Fargnoli also encourages others to play hockey.

“Just try it. A bunch of people say they wish they started, but it’s really not too late.”

$60
$1500