Kreidberg discusses voting for the first time

This past election, senior Caroline Kreidberg voted in the Presidential Election.

On November 6, senior Caroline Kriedberg voted alongside 19% of America’s 18-29 year olds in the 2012 presidential election. Although this percentage may appear low, it’s actually an increase from the 2008 election, when only 17% of people in this demographic voted.

Kreidberg was excited in anticipation for voting, recognizing the opportunity as a major step towards adulthood. She agrees with the legal voting age of 18.

“I don’t think that I’m more qualified to vote than anyone in my grade who’s 17, but I think that there has to be a cutoff point somewhere,” said Kreidberg. “Even a very informed 12 year old shouldn’t have the right to vote because the election won’t affect him in the same way that it’ll affect his or her parents.”

Kreidberg considered it her obligation as a voter to inform herself and devoted more time to researching politics this year than she ever had in the past. Watching each of the three presidential debates in their entireties, Kreidberg was able to prioritize the topics discussed.

“I find social issues to be most important. In order to have a well-functioning society we need to make sure that everyone has equal rights,” Kreidberg said.

With the coming of the election, Kreidberg also experienced a growing sense of appreciation for democracy.

“So many people are able to say what they want to, and that makes a great society,” said Kreidberg. “Its just amazing that a country is able to gather all its citizens on one day to vote.”

Kreidberg was especially eager to vote for the senator and to vote on the ballot questions. She felt it particularly important because she believed the outcomes of state issues may affect her even more directly than the outcome of the presidential election.

At 18, Kreidberg remains optimistic about the power of her vote. Prior to the election, she had high hopes for her candidate.

“I’m looking at this voting experience from a much more ideological standpoint. People who have voted in the past have voted, their candidate has won, and they haven’t seen much change,” said Kreidberg. “It’s hard to change the ways of an entire country, but I think that my candidate will do great things.”