Best dressed superlative: perspectives from the nominees

Nominees for the "Best Dressed" superlative reflect on what fashion means to them.
“Victorian, classy and soon to be in style,” is how senior Miles Adler would describe his style of clothing. Adler is one of eight seniors who has been nominated for the “Best Dressed” senior superlative. The three other male nominees are Jake Adelman, Nick Condry and Max Freedberg. The four female nominees are Alice D’Orlando, Maisie Flynn, Amelia Haney and Maddy Welti.

Each year, seniors vote on students in their grade who they believe define a certain superlative. The assortment of past superlatives includes “Most Attractive,” “Most Musical,” and “Most Athletic,” as well as “Worst Driver” and “Most Likely to Talk Their Way Out of Demerits.”

“Best Dressed” nominees are praised for an activity done outside of school: shopping.

“I think Urban Outfitters, departments stores like Nordstrom and Forever 21 are really popular right now,” D’Orlando said. “But, I like shopping at H&M the most because it has more complex styles that you can’t find at other stores. H&M has cool patterns and new, modern styles.”

“My favorite store is probably Free People because its clothes have a natural but unique look to them,” Flynn said.

Fashion has a different weight of importance to each nominee. Some find it to be an important part of their lives.

“Fashion’s really important to me because I like art, high fashion and runway,” D’Orlando said. “However, for my daily life, it’s more about going to school every day wearing something I’m comfortable with.”

“Every Thursday, I try to look classy. It’s laid out in the sense that I only have a few options for what I wear that day because only certain clothes will go with each other,” Adler said.

Others spend less time deciding what they will wear the next day.

“I try to look nice, but it’s not a huge part of my life,” Freedberg said. “I guess I just put a bit of an extra effort in.”

“I don’t think a ton about what I’m going to wear,” Flynn said, “I keep a lot of clothes in my car, so if I get to school and I decide I don’t like what I’m wearing, I can usually change.”

Different nominees also shop for different fashions of clothing.

“I don’t like spending lots of money on clothes, so I try to stay fairly simple,” Freedberg said.

“I usually look for styles because I’m kind of picky about the things that flatter me,” D’Orlando said.

Although there are popular clothing trends at school depending on the weather and time of year, most of the nominees don’t believe being “Best Dressed” is about following a certain fashion or trend.

“I think being ‘Best Dressed’ means having a unique style,” Freedberg said.

A common misconception about being “Best Dressed” is that it implies wearing only nice clothing. Some nominees disagree and believe that the presentation of an outfit is just as important as the clothes.

“I don’t think “Best Dressed” is as much about being ‘in-style’ and wearing what’s ‘cool,’” D’Orlando said. “I think it’s more about what you’re comfortable in, what brings out your features and looks good on you, and how you present that.”

“I think the most important part about being ‘Best Dressed’ is coming off clean,” Adler said. “There’s that phrase being ‘dressed the part,’ so it’s about being clean in the way you dress and also clean in your conduct.”

D’Orlando thinks that confidence is key for anyone who isn’t sure whether others will like or accept his or her sense of style.

“Be yourself. If something stands out to you as cute or fun, you should get it and wear it and be comfortable with it. The more you wear something with confidence, the more people will notice it and like it.”

$210
$1500