Girls swim team reflects on expectations for season

Last year, the girls swim team won their sixth state title in the last seven years. This year, the girls are hoping to win their seventh title.
The WHS girls swim team is known for successful seasons, winning six state championships in the past seven years. But with great success comes great pressure to meet the high expectations for this Warrior team.

“If we work hard and do our best, I think we can be really good,” senior captain Megan Pierce said.

Heidi Friedlander, science teacher and assistant coach of the girls swim team, hopes the team will be able to come together as they have in prior seasons.

“My hopes are that the team is able to work hard and enjoy themselves as a supportive and cohesive group,” Friedlander said.

Currently, the team is focusing on getting in shape for the season, but the swimmers have long term goals as well. According to Friedlander, the girls hope to win States, as they have in past years.

Because girls swimming is such a popular sport, one challenge of the season will be to keep all the girls involved with the team. Other challenges may arise for the swimmers when they need to balance schoolwork, swim team and other commitments.

A large number of talented swimmers graduated with the class of 2012, but Friedlander views the team’s loss as an opportunity for the other members of the team to play a bigger role during this season.

“While there were folks who have left, I don’t think there is a role that can’t be replaced by other people,” Friedlander said.

Team bonding plays a huge role in the swimmers’ performances as well. The swimmers’ closeness makes the team stronger and more cohesive as a group.

“When they compete, they compete not only for themselves, but for the team,” Friedlander said.

All eyes will be on the girls swim team this year, hoping for another successful season. The next home swim meet will be held on December 20, against Weston.