Zen & M’s: New Year’s resolutions

During this first Zen & M's post of 2013, Caitlin shares some tips for what can make or break your New Year's resolutions.
The gift-giving holidays have come and gone and New Year’s will have too by the time you readers view the published version of this blog post. But right now, as I type, the year 2012 is still a thing of the present, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not already thinking about 2013!

I have a lot to look forward to in the coming year: graduation, summer vacation and my freshman year of college. But, what the heck am I supposed to do until the end of the year when I get to finally enjoy these experiences?

I’m going to make my New Year’s resolutions a reality, that’s what.

As I’m sure many of you know, New Year’s resolutions aren’t magical cures for all of life’s ills. In order for these resolutions to be successful, you have to, as some of your workout gear may have written across it, “just do it.”

Your resolutions can be any sort of goal you can think of, from cleaning your room more regularly (definitely not my resolution though; ain’t nobody got time for that) to overcoming your fear of clowns. But, most commonly we think of health-oriented resolutions, which is what we’ll focus on today … because I write a health blog.

I personally recommend resolutions such as catching up on sleep or eating breakfast. However, some basics you may be considering to shoot for may include eating healthier, getting fit or managing stress.

In order to stay on track with your resolution, it’s a good idea to set a website pertaining to your goal as your internet homepage. Last year, I set a website named Random Abs as my homepage. It reminded me to get my butt to the gym every day and gave me ideas of new things to try. Some good homepages are linked in the paragraph above.

After you’ve chosen your resolutions, the next step is maintaining them. This part is going to require commitment, but we’re used to that here at Zen & M’s! First, you’re going to want to set baby goals for yourself and deadlines to go with them. Accomplishing your goal a little bit at a time makes your resolution manageable both mentally and physically. If you’re looking to eat healthier, focus on only few types of food to try or eliminate at first. If your goal is fitness oriented, don’t try to run the marathon on your first day of training. Also, you may want to consider keeping a log for yourself to track your progress and keep yourself honest.

The most important part about resolutions is NOT GIVING UP! If you fall off the proverbial horse, that’s okay — the worst thing you can do is wait until next year! Stand up, dust yourself off and begin where you left off. Your next New Year’s self will thank you.

I hope you all had a relaxing and rewarding holiday season, and if you ever need more support or guidance for your resolutions outside of Zen & M’s, all you have to do is ask!