Warrior Weekly: Goodbye 2012

This week, Harry reviews both nation and WHS sports, as well as predicts how future teams will fare.

Well, we made it through the end of the world. It is 2013. I’d like to wish my readers a happy New Year! Thanks for reading!

What is the best part of the New Year season? All of those “year in review” articles and blogs. Well, I think it is my duty as the loyal WSPN sports blogger to write my own year in review and look at the best and the worst from the past year as well as a look ahead to 2013.

Best Moments

The New England Patriots
Pretty obvious. The Patriots did everything right during 2012, except for losing the Super Bowl and cutting Chad Ochocino (I refuse to call him Chad Johnson.) They look good heading into 2013; no surprise there.

WHS Football
The football team made it to the Super Bowl for the first time since 2006. Unfortunately, like the Patriots they couldn’t pull out the win. They head into 2013 with a lot of uncertainty, especially at the quarterback position. But with Robert Williams at running back, the Warriors could still have a successful year.

WHS Boys Tennis
The boys tennis team was lost in last year’s end-of-the-year excitement. Lead by freshmen Andrew Chen and Matt Maws, the boys won the Massachusetts State Championship over Sharon. The boys expect to win again in 2013, and with Chen and Maws only being sophomores, the boys could be good for the next few years.

WHS Swimming and Diving and Wayland-Weston Crew
OK — these teams win every single year. It’s getting ridiculous. As usual they had a pretty great 2012 season. We all know they will have a successful 2013, too.

WHS Boys Hockey
Everyone was caught up in the excitement of boys hockey last year. While the games weren’t that easy to get to, a bunch of fans showed up to watch the boys make it all the way to the state semifinals.

Celtics Playoff Run
Last year we all believed in the Celtics. That’s right. We actually believed the Celtics could get past the Miami Heat. Man, we were crazy. But it sure was fun.

WHS Field Hockey
This was another strong year from field hockey. The girls made it all the way to the semifinals. Although they lost many strong seniors, look for the girls to be just as competitive in the fall of 2013.

WHS Boys Basketball
Last year’s winter season was a good one. Just like the boys hockey team, the boys basketball team made it to the semifinals. With a strong group of seniors including Jaleel Bell, the boys look to have a successful 2013.

The Trade Part I
Yes! The Red Sox got rid of over $200 million in bad contracts. Why were the Dodgers such fools to take these god awful players from us? This trade was a gift from God.

Worst Moments

Bobby Valentine
No explanation needed. But you know his year was bad when he gets into a biking accident while texting.

Boston Red Sox
See “Bobby Valentine.”

Lockouts
The referees, NHL, NBA and the NFL were all affected by lockouts in 2012. No more politics in sports, please.

The Trade Part II
Wait, The Red Sox already spent all of the money that we got back? What is Ben Cherington doing?

Quick shoutout to wrestling who are currently 7-0. Nice job guys!

On a separate note, the MLB Hall of Fame voting will be announced on January 9, which will be before I write next. National Sportswriters are the ones who get to vote for the Hall of Fame. Since I am not a National Sportswriter (yet), I did not have a vote. But if I did, my vote would look like this: Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Mike Piazza, Curt Schilling and Jeff Bagwell.

Also, on Wednesday, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis announced he will be retiring from football at the end of the season. He will be missed around the NFL. Good luck to him in retirement.

Hope everyone will have a great 2013! Hopefully Warrior sports are good enough to keep this blog interesting. Next week I will give my first full analysis of the winter season so far.

“My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging.”
-Hank Aaron

$210
$1500