Information about “Tommy” released

An informational meeting about WHS's spring musical will be held on February 11. Auditions are expected to begin as soon as next week. "The story brings itself to the actors,” musical director Richard Weingartner said.
On Monday, February 11, an informational meeting about this year’s spring musical, The Who’s “Tommy,” will take place on the main stage at 2:30 p.m. At the meeting, information about auditions and the musical will be given out. Sign-up sheets for audition times will be available at the meeting as well.

Auditions are expected to begin as soon as next week. The auditions will have multiple parts, consisting of singing, movement parts and spoken parts. In addition, these auditions will take into consideration which actors match up and sing well with other actors.

“Auditions will be the place where we start to take a look at the actors and see what they’ll bring to the story. The story brings itself to the actors,” musical director Richard Weingartner said.

Interested students will have time to get to know the story and will be able to read the first act of the play. After that, they can audition for specific parts in the musical.

After the audition process comes the practices. Practices consist of working on dancing, music or practicing scenes onstage. Practices will generally be about two and a half hours, six days a week. As the performance dates get closer, practices will become longer and some practices will be held on Sundays.

“We spend a lot of time creating character work, building character relationships with one another and building a world,” Weingartner said. “In order for that world to be a truthful world, you have to spend some time [on it].”

Veterans and newcomers are encouraged to come to the meeting and audition, whether they plan on becoming a professional actor or don’t have any singing or acting experiences at all.

“You never can tell. Somebody who walks in off the streets can get the lead,” Weingartner said.

$210
$1500