WW ’13: Spooner shares life lessons on being unique

Above, Spooner speaks on the mainstage during Winter Week. Spooner is the only
Above, Spooner speaks on the mainstage during Winter Week. Spooner is the only self-proclaimed investment adviser/novelist in America and came to this year's Winter Week to share his experiences and life lessons with seniors. “Don’t look back at anything like this and say ‘I should have done it,’” Spooner said.
“America has 300 million people. The world has seven billion people and is growing. How do you set yourself apart?” John Spooner asked.

Spooner, America’s only self-proclaimed investment adviser/novelist, addressed Wayland seniors on January 31 to offer advice on “separating yourself from the pack.”

Spooner’s lessons and anecdotes ranged from the merits of writing notes by hand to interviewing a financial adviser. The focus of Spooner’s presentation was how to get ahead.

According to Spooner, the best way to make yourself stand out is to embrace your unique qualities, especially in resumes.

“I see tons of resumes from young people who want to get jobs, [and] most are plain vanilla boring,” Spooner said.

One example Spooner shared was of a young man who did not put the fact that he was a black belt in karate on his resume, claiming that it didn’t show anything about him. However, Spooner said that these “little things” are what set each applicant apart.

“Interviewers will only zero in on special skills,” Spooner said. “When you go out to interview in life, passion will get you an entry.”

From there, Spooner moved on to give his audience members advice on building human relationships.

Spooner spoke of how technology is changing, but human nature will never change, stating that it has always been human nature for people to come together.

“There can be five rooms, but most people will congregate in the same room,” Spooner said.

Spooner claimed that human contact is the most important way to interact. Spooner gave an example of handwritten letters, which is the form of communication he appreciates the most.

After his advice on “separating yourself from the pack,” Spooner gave seniors advice on the stock market.

“The only [way] you’re ever going to learn about how the stock market works is by using your own wits, not somebody else’s,” Spooner said.

Spooner advised seniors to invest in what they care about, then closed with life lessons for his audience.

“Don’t look back at anything like this and say ‘I should have done it,’” Spooner said.

Spooner used the act of taking a “last shower” as a symbol for the last time one does something.

“I’m going to have many last showers in life and so will all of you.” Spooner said. “So I better cherish them and hold onto them.”