Warriors move on to finals after defeating top-seeded North Reading Hornets

Above, the Warriors listen to the national anthem before heading out to play. The Warriors defeated the top-seeded North Reading Hornets on Wednesday night with a score of 64-48 to earn a spot in the Division III North finals. “It’s always exciting to knock off the top seed, and since there was a lot of energy between our fans and North Reading’s fans, it made the victory even better,” senior fan Isabel Schwartz said.
The Wayland boys’ basketball team defeated the top-seeded North Reading High School Hornets with a final score of 64-48 in the Division III semifinals on Wednesday night. The Warriors will face the Danvers High School Falcons on Saturday at 3:45 p.m. at the Tsongas Center in the Division III North finals. Tickets will be $12 for adults, $7 for students and $7 for senior citizens (62+).

The Falcons currently have a record of 21-2 and are the returning Division III North champions. Danvers and Wayland also met last year in the Division III North semifinals where Danvers pulled off the win, advancing to later win the state title.

Wednesday night’s game was held at Burlington High School, a neutral location for the two teams.

Although the Warriors were down by four points at halftime, they came from behind in the second half to clinch another victory.

Senior Cameron Chin’s three-point shot in the third quarter brought the Warriors up a point ahead of North Reading and started a scoring streak for Wayland.

“I have to give credit to my teammates for opening up the floor for me,” Chin said. “That shot gave us some well-needed momentum, which carried through the rest of the game.”

Senior Jaleel Bell had a strong performance, recording 34 points, 14 rebounds and nine steals.

Although the fan bus for Wednesday’s game was canceled due to lack of interest, numerous Warriors fans showed up at Burlington High School to support their team.

“It’s always exciting to knock off the top seed, and since there was a lot of energy between our fans and North Reading’s fans, it made the victory even better,” senior fan Isabel Schwartz said.