Best of the MetroWest: Bobby’s Burger Palace

Ally Toto is on a mission to find the best shops, restaurants, events and other entertainment hubs in the MetroWest area. On her latest stop at Bobby's Burger Palace, Ally explored the newest edition to Bobby Flay's restaurant chain.

Craving a high quality burger without breaking the bank? Celebrity Chef Bobby Flay recently opened Bobby’s Burger Palace (BBP) at the Burlington Mall, a diner-style burger joint. This is Bobby Flay’s first restaurant venture in Massachusetts and his thirteenth BBP location in the United States. According to a recent press release on Boston.com; “BBP offers an assortment of burgers inspired by Bobby’s extensive travels throughout America and his love of the grill in a casual and convenient setting.”

Approaching the Burger Palace, I was disappointed to see a line of customers nearly out the door. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the line moved, though. A billboard-sized menu was posted on the wall outside the restaurant. BBP offers 10 signature burgers with the choice of certified angus beef, ground turkey or grilled chicken breast. The burger prices are between $6.50 and $7.75. There is also the option to “crunchify” your burger, meaning you can add potato chips to it!

In addition to burgers, the diner-style menu includes fries (sweet potato or regular), beer battered onion rings, shakes, gourmet sodas and other typical diner specials. For vegetarians, salads and grilled cheese are offered.

At BBP, food is ordered when you walk in as opposed to when you’re seated, and you are given a number to place on your table so that the servers know where to deliver the entrées. The eclectic interior of the restaurant is decorated in vibrant hues of red, orange and yellow with family-style table seating and bar seating. The chairs swivel and are an eye-popping lime green. On the walls are colorful canvas images of food like bacon and potatoes.

I ordered the Napa Valley Burger with chicken breast, which was topped with fresh goat cheese, watercress and meyer lemon honey mustard. It was mouthwateringly seasoned and delicious. I also made sure to have a bite of my mom’s “crunchified” L.A. turkey burger, topped with avocado relish, cheddar cheese, watercress and tomato. Both were to die for. We had the beer battered onion rings on the side, and we were surprised to see four gigantic onion rings. The coating was crisp and flaky but not at all greasy. We also ordered the handcut fries, which had an earthy flavor and were accompanied by a special BBP fry sauce made with chipotles.

For a drink, I tried the pomegranate blueberry milkshake, which was rich and creamy. The wait staff was friendly and efficient, and they informed us that the shakes contain a high-end ice cream that is shipped to the restaurants.

On each table are an assortment of unique sauces of chipotle ketchup, jalapeno hot sauce and burger sauce, which accompany the classic ketchup and mustard. I’m not much of a spicy food gal, but the chipotle ketchup had just the right kick to it.

Overall, I really enjoyed the unique atmosphere of high quality food in a casual diner. If you’re looking for a fun and affordable restaurant for a date night, a hangout with friends or just for a quick bite on the go, Bobby’s Burger Palace is the place for you.